Lowering a ‘74 XJ6

I have a ‘74 XJ6 suspension on my ‘48 Chevy Panel Truck. I would like to lower it no more than 2”. Can anyone give me any help?

Tons, search for a few keywords and add #xj and maybe #xj-s to the search term: one example is [xj] Lowering the front end
Maybe try the #lumps as well.
David

i lowered my 71 with king springs -30mm springs. they are on evilbay or contact them directly in Australia. IIRC shipping was almost as much as the springs. i think they are worth it. ride is not harsh

One way is to cut a coil off the springs !

Front end easy - shorter springs. Rear end has the spring/shock combo - and other ways to lower rear end should be considered…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

That’s what I did, when using XJ12 springs in an XJ6. I wanted stiffer.
I think it was 2 whole turns cut off to get the front down 2 inches.
I know it’s a bit hillbilly, but it worked.

Rob

Rob:
Naaah, the “Hillbilly” way is to apply the blue wrench to a middle coil in situ. The car’s weight
causes a partial collapse of the spring. Caveat. block the car at the desired ride height. Ugh, too much, an expression often used.

48:

Curious what kinda panel Ford, chevvy, other?
A local carpet company has an immaculate mid thirties Dodge panel…

Not sure that you can get 2" by this method. It is often used and does not mess up alignment. Add spacers between the spring pan and the lower control arm.

A picture or so would be interesting!!

Carl .

This is a XJ6 IRS that’s been narrowed and on airbags in a early GMC pickup truck. This one is on airbags, but if you wanted a non-airbag lowered IRS, you’d have to fit adjustable coil overs where the shocks are in this photo.

It would look something like this-

If you have the original cage you can buy four adjustable coil overs to replace the factory units. but it will get expensive.

The least expensive way would be to fabricate a new lower bracket for the factory shocks, but it won’t be adjustable.

By comparison, the front is much easier. Spacing out the spring pan about an inch will give you about a two inch drop of the front suspension. You’ll have to fabricate some spacers and replace the fasteners with high strength longer bolts, but it isn’t difficult. I’ve also cut the spring pocket out of the spring pan and extended it downward, but it is a lot of cutting and welding.

Here’s a spring pan that has been cut to weld a air spring mount, but you could just as easily extend the pocket for a conventional spring.
If you were to use a spacer, you’d fit one to each of the holes shown here.

Classy work!! Air bags are a neat device. Far from the leaky ones that USA cars offered in the late 50’s!!!

My son created a car hauler. Mostly alloy. Including winch, dog house and tire rack. n “bags”. On board compressor for the bags and to service cargo. lowers the deck to allow easy load and off load. Raise to travel. traditional ramps not req’d./

Carl