Lucas central locking problem with solution!

My '85 XJ6 has the Lucas central locking system. For the past year or two, I have noticed ever more frequent problems with getting the left rear door to lock using the driver’s door key. The rear door locks nice and easy from inside the car, whether directly or with physically locking the driver’s door with its lock lever. I removed the left passenger door card and checked the solenoid and found it easy to work, and the lock free and easy to lock. I lubricated the lock just to be sure it isn’t sticking. No change in the solenoid failing to fully lock the door. I could hear the solenoid make a noise like it wanted to lock, but not actually locking. With a few repeated attempts to lock it with the key, it would lock. I removed the driver’s door card and the solenoid/switch looked fine. I suspected the switch was finally starting to fail, and searched the 'net for new replacements…no luck. I checked Ebait, and found that the '82 to 88 XJS solenoids looked the same, so I took my chances and bought a driver’s door one for about $26 total including shipping. After taking the XJS solenoid apart, I found that it had the EXACT same switch, wiring colours and connector! I only had to take my XJ6 switch off its housing, and exchange it for the XJS one, and voila…all works as it should! I went back on Ebait and bought another one for a spare, in case the ‘new’ used one I now have starts to go out on me. For only an hour’s work, I now have central locking again.

1 Like

I’m happy for you, Kassaq - a bit bewildered…

There is no switch on the solenoids? Incidentally, ‘85’ was the changeover year between the Lucas solenoids and the later Kiekert motor door locking system…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

The driver’s door solenoid on the Lucas system does not contain a solenoid, but only a short ‘solenoid’ housing outer body, with the single ‘switch’ housing screwed on it that contains a couple capacitors, microswitches and transistors with associated wiring. The solenoids on the passenger doors contain actual electro-magnet solenoids without microswitches. The XJS front solenoids contain actual electro-magnet solenoids and microswitchs/electronics screwed on. I can only make the guess that the XJS can be centrally locked from the driver’s and front passenger’s doors; whereas, my XJ6 can only be centrally locked from the driver’s door (front passenger’s door won’t do it).

The control unit, without a solenoid, is a trigger for relays on the xj, Kassaq - not having an actual solenoid to physically lock/unlock the doors. Is the xjs set-up different - control unit having a solenoid, to both trigger and operate the actual locking…?

The Kiekert motor system, as fitted to the xj from 85, also had only the drivers’ side control unit - moved RHD/LHD. The passenger door key could not operate the central locking.

However, the Kiekert system fitted to the xj40 used a combination motor/control unit - allowing using a remote lock/unlock set-up. Maybe the xjs was that advanced with the solenoids?

The Kiekert combined one could of course be fitted to both front doors - indeed, with the incorporated motor it could be used on all doors, and the boot. But they cost like the very devil - aftermarket units usually have the same options, much cheaper…

Incidentally, as the Lucas solenoid units actually have two solenoids, lock/unlock with a common ground - I wonder if your one-door trouble was a bad ground…?

Frank
xj6 85 Siov Europe (UK/NZ)