Lucas Rear Number Plate Box "D" Frames for Lenses

(Timothy M Fox) #1

Hello again,

I’m chasing two “D” frames with the attaching parts - spring, pin etc. for my number plate box. I think it’s part number 523333 “Rim assembly for Stop, Tail and Reverse Lights (less glass)”. Mine are just unserviceable, sadly.

I understand they were fitted to cars such as Armstrong Siddley, Alvis, RR. Bentley, etc. Perhaps suppliers of these marques might remanufacture them or have a serviceable pair?

Any suggestions will be very gratefully received.

I’m sure that all of you know that things reveal themselves for better or worse as you progress into a restoration.

Best wishes,

Tim

0 Likes

(David) #2

Following an interesting visit at the weekend to the Jaguar Spares Day in the UK - here are some web-site links to possible suppliers of these parts (I’ve not checked them out if they will fit correctly, as I’ve had my original rear light parts re-chromed rather than buying new). They are all UK based but do export.
https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/st51--d--light-chrome--pair-/
https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/177l-d-lamp-lens-for-lucas-model-288-3-box-lamp
http://www.vintagemotorspares.com/page6.htm

0 Likes

(David) #3

I’ve also established that some parts of the Triumph Roadster (of the same era) shared many Lucas parts to the Jaguar MK IV - and may be easier to find or at a better price!! Here are a couple of pictures of the rear and front lights as an example:

0 Likes

(Timothy M Fox) #4

Hello David,

That’s very kind of you to think of me, I do appreciate it.

Unfortunately Vintage Car Parts did carry them but the supplier has closed their business. The proprietor is looking for a new supplier at present.

The other two “D” lights won’t work, sadly.

The tip about the Triumph is a great one and I shall begin to hunt down suppliers later this week.

I wish we had access to a Jaguar Spares Day!

Best wishes,

Tim

Timothy Fox

Timothy2963@gmail.com

0 Likes

(ARTIEFARTY) #5

Tim,

There a vendor on EBay in Greensville South Carolina that has loads of the bits you may need

Art

0 Likes

(Timothy M Fox) #6

That’s a great help, thanks very much Art!

I’ve contacted the seller - nearly fainted with amount of things he has!

Cheers,

Tim

0 Likes

(Timothy M Fox) #7

Hi Art,

His name is a David Rogers and he’s an Australian! He’s quite a character and had me in fits of laughter.

Thanks again,

Tim

0 Likes

(Gust Nelson) #8

Hi Art,
Try Alan Gibbins in the UK . If he does not have. He will point you.
Alan@ssjaguar.co.uk
Regards,
Gust Nelson

0 Likes

(ARTIEFARTY) #9

Tim,

Do you have an email address for him. Those bloody Ozzies are everywhere. :grinning::grinning:

Art

1 Like

(Gust Nelson) #10

Art,
Unless Ed Nantes is out of town he will probably answer soon with further direction.

Gust Nelson

0 Likes

(ARTIEFARTY) #11

Gust,

It’s Tim that is looking for lens parts. Alan doesn’t do lenses as far as I know. I had the D lens market ‘cornered’ a couple of years ago I bought a job lot of 10 NOS ones that the red paint had flaked off, I got some glass paint and re-done them. I sent two to Ed and recently Rob R got a pair. It’s the metal frame I need.

Art

0 Likes