Luggage rail rubber

I am replacing the rubber in my boot board luggage rails and am wondering how to cut the ends. My rails have the flat end rather than the pointed end so should I cut the rubber off flat at an angle similar to the stainless holder? Or simply flat and not at an angle? Anyone know how it came from the factory?

Thanks for any help.

–Drew

I cut mine at a slight angle to prevent luggage from snagging on the leading edges. I’m not certain how they were from the factory.

Thanks John! That sounds like the best approach. I’ll see if I can find some photos that show the originals. I guess I should check the Haddock Mueller book.

–Drew

The rubber on the original luggage rails on my 1967 coupe show vertical cuts on the ends of all inserts. The edges of the rubber are on top of the edges of the metal frame rail on all pieces except at the ends of the beveled pieces where the rubber transitions to under the metal edge starting one inch from the end. The rubber runs the full length of each metal rail except on the long pieces at the rear where the it ends three quarters on an inch short at the rear edge.
Tom

John, I had BAS make a new floor mat for me and I need the rails. Anyone know where I might find some or all the rails for the deck mat and folding luggage board used? New is out of my price range. Thanks, Harold

I bought a few for my car because they were missing, they weren’t that expensive but maybe things have changed since 2015. I could only suggest searching E-Bay Motors and a jag recycling yard near you. Jaguar Heaven in Sacramento California is where I have found some items I needed.

These are hard to find used. I looked for years without much luck. SNG has them for $40 to $50 US each repro.

Thanks John, I’ve sourced the luggage retainer strips. There 2 long BD20291/2 at UKs for $94.99ea. I haven’t added it up new for the 5 piece set but I’m guessing $500. Good grief, I still mow my own yard and change my oil. :slight_smile: Like you I’ve been at this for many yrs. It will work out, it always does.

1 Like

Lambretta scooters have lovely cast aluminium end caps for the floor strips. Cheap as chips as floor kits.
Just an idea.