Main bearing - looks strange

Hello,

I am swapping engines between two car´s (don´t ask) and evaluating an XJ 4.2 engine. The engine is hardly run-in and the main bearings look like this (see picture).

I have not seen this before (but am no expert). It tells me oil is running from the bearing to the front and rear.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Hedde

Is there a maker’s mark or part number on back? I’m wondering if that is how they looked when they were new, some sort of witness mark from a manufacturing process, maybe from plating. The only way you have oil flow is when the crankshaft turns, and there’s no way you could get that entirely transverse erosion pattern with a running engine.

Hi Mike,
This is a picture from the back. (I got them from SNG a few years ago.)

My main concern is that the oil escapes instead of lubricating the bearing properly.

Regards,
Hedde

Looks like the same mark on the back. Can you actually feel a recess or erosion? Since it’s on both the front and back, it looks more like a stain than erosion. There’s no way anything significant leaks out between the bearing shell and block. Looks like they were dipped. I don’t think you can come up with any scenario where oil flow from a running engine can cause these transverse stains.

And there CANNOT be excessive flow out that path unless there is a significant SPACE there. It does not appear to me there is any more space at those points than anywhere else (perhaps a few 0.0001" at best).

I would not be at all concerned about that…

Regards,
Ray L.

Thanks Ray,
I thought, mayby the crankshaft is machined for +10 and I did not measure correct and installed STD bearings. I only have a vernier caliper available.
Regards,
Hedde

Thanks Mike,
You are right, they are stains. Maybe I am over concerned.
Regards,
Hedde