Main fuse block wiring colors--'86 V12

I am in the process of replacing the main fuse block with individual blade holder/fuses. Before I cut the wires to the block I tie wrapped each pair(s) of wires together. All but four of the pairs matched color coding on the wiring diagram in S57, but several don’t. Does anyone have a color coded diagram of the wiring going into each fuse on the block. I don’t want to just just add new fuses into the system if I don’t have it correct. Thanks in advance. Mike

I just happen to be looking at this list and wondered if my old replacement of the fuse box on my website might help you. You can look at the link at

http://bernardembden.com/xjs/refusebox/index.htm

Regards

Bernard Embden

I have used this as a reference. I also printed out some of your pictures to take home with me tonight. Just looking for something more to alleviate my concerns. Thanks. Mike

I am in the process of replacing the main fuse block with individual
blade holder/fuses.

Why aren’t you going with a new fuse block? It’d be MUCH neater.

– Kirbert

Neater–yes. Easier–no no no.

I took another look last night at my work. Now that the fuses are almost changed out, it may be easier to add a new fuse block back in. Also easier to sort out the maze of wires now. Wires seem to come in a big “wad”. With the wiring now lengthened , i might be able to straighten it all out and install a proper fuse block. Thanks for making me re-think this. Mike

1 Like

Mike:

I thought I might be too late in suggesting a new block in lieu of a bunch of individual blade fuse holders.

1. Visit the wrecker. most “modern” cars have neat boxes. Various numbers of fuses included. My 94 Jeep has a neat box, up front in the engine bay. with a lid, no less. It houses not only all or most of the fuses, the blade types, but the relays. And a neat legend on the cover.

2. Check Painless Wiring as an example. Hot rod oriented, but with many options.

3. My lump uses two “auxiliary fuse blocks” that neatly pair up to resemble one. No legend, so I created one and placed it in my manual. Neat and, I created a mount to suspend from th stay bars in my cars engine bay. .

Czrl

Got the new individual fuse holders finished this morning. Wow!!! Horn now works. Left blower now comes on and blows air. A/c compressor engages. Front fog lamps now come on. Dash panel still works after I took it out to work behind it and re-installed it. What a morning>>>> Thanks. Mike

Got the new individual fuse holders finished this morning. Wow!!!
Horn now works. Left blower now comes on and blows air. A/c
compressor engages. Front fog lamps now come on.

I’ve been recommending for years that people replace their glass tube
fuseboxes with modern spade fuseboxes, but I don’t think many have taken
me seriously. Heck I probably wouldn’t have taken me seriously if it
weren’t for the time I was stopped at a stoplight and was seeing smoke
coming out from under the hood, and it turned out to be the engine
compartment fusebox melting itself into a glob. Fuseboxes aren’t even
supposed to get warm, there’s no load in them.

– Kirbert