Manifold reservac tank and servo

hi all, can someone tell me the route the pipework takes for the manifold,reservac tank and servo takes on a 65 s type please.

Hullo Robert,

I am in the process of rejuvenating my vac system as we speak. The previous owner had disconnected this a long time ago due to leaks. They lived with the ventilation system being non-operative, wedging the scuttle vent open, just leaving a direct vac connection to the brake servo. I don’t know how much of the system you have, so I’ll give a detailed description.

I am guided by the drawings in the spares catalogue as to the layout and will follow it as closely as possible. If you need a picture or two, I can send same in a few days.

From the manifold, the hose goes to a T piece just under the r.h. fog light. From there a short length of hose goes back to the servo. There are openings in the forward edge of the servo shield for this. A short piece of flexible hose goes from the T piece to the r.h. end of a 5/16" steel tube which crosses to the left side and ends under the fog light. Again, a short piece of flexible connects it to the vac tank’s non-return valve. The small bore outlet from this valve connects to a continuous rubber tube into the ventilation control module.

My offtake is from the bottom of the intake manifold, not the top rear as shown in the book. My steel transfer tube was rusted and I replaced it with aluminium. I suggest that you be suspicious of your tube if you still have it, but don’t hesitate to replace it. Mine was good externally but it broke readily whilst attempting to correct a minor bend. I was suspicious (rightly, as it transpired) of the integrity of the vac tank. The thin spots broke out into a few holes at the bottom after an acid soak. Replacement tubes and tanks don’t appear to be available so you need to repair what you have with the tank. The metal tube could be substituted by a continuous flexible hose across the car if you are not fussy about originality. The non-return valves are available, and these suffer internal deterioration over time, being diecast alloy, therefore preventing a stored vacuum being created.

The weakness in the system for longevity is the steel tube and tank. Because it is a vacuum that is drawn from the atmosphere, any moisture due to humidity gets deposited in the lowest places - the tube and bottom of the tank. The operational risk is that any leak in the system will affect the engine’s state of tune so all connections and parts must be airtight.

I hope this helps.

Peter

1 Like

Robert

If you need vacuum tanks consider using air tanks. Obtainable second hand from truck scrap yards, sometimes available in alloy.

1 Like

Hi Robert I have just replaced the
vac tank and valve on a 68 3.8 mark 2
You can access if necessary the tank easy if you remove the nearside headlamp
you can then see the valve and hose connections
I have got a spare tank if you need it and attach Jaguar spec sheet on the setup
I am in UK Suffolk
Cheers
Brian

1 Like

1 Like