Mark Five Drop Head Coupe

I am looking for a resale value of a fully restored MKV Drop Head Coupe. It has original engine and transmission. Does anyone have a source for this info? Thanks, Anne

I have seen them advertised for anywhere between $75,000 and $150,000 but that doesn’t mean they sold.

https://classiccars.com/listings/find/all-years/jaguar/mark-v

A rusty unrestored non-running fairly complete one sold last week for $21,250.
A very rusty heap is currently advertised at $27,000.

Is this Tom’s? We corresponded some years ago. I haven’t heard from him in awhile. Is he no longer with us?

'Fully restored ’ is a very flexible description .

I had a lady , a while ago ring me . Her aging father has a " fully restored SS airline which lives locally.
She wanted to know how much it was worth… Not sure whether her father was aware of the call.
I said , to an extent , it was the basis of a restoration project. The can’t be driven having a range of about 15 miles before oil pressure disappears due to the odd restoration of the big end bearings , Wanting steel rods but not wanting to pay much , the owner made spacers to go on the journal to make up the size.
And long before the 15 mile would be up is the risk of the front end collapsing … When restoring it , he decided that factory ideas on Camber were wrong, so put the axle beam in the garage press to straighten it a bit , and broke the end off.
I had a spare at the time and offered it to him for $ 130 hub to hub . Much sucking of breath and he said he’d think about it , Which he seems to still be thinking about as it’s long gone 30 years or so. But to compound it , he welded the end back on himself. No analysis or qualifications.
I told her . if you sell the car and someone drives it possibly with family or kids on board and the end breaks off , they could be killed.
" No " she said " people never drive these old cars, they just look at them"
I said well if you sell it , i will find out and let the buyer know… Which hopefully this will be a part of.

But to value , her idea of a starting point was the price that a Pebble Beach entrant of the same model brought
And this was in no way similar condition…

Tom’s car was 647179. He was actively restoring it, and last posted to this forum in Sept '10.

Hagerty Insurance Co. rates a 1950 DHC at these values:
$136,000 for concours or #1. Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best car, unmodified, in the right colours, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the car has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. No customisations have been made.

$97,500 for excellent or #2. #2 cars could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 cars that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and interior will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine compartment. The vehicle will drive as a new car of its era would. No customisations have been made.

$68,000 for good or #3. #3 cars could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 car, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior. #3 cars drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These cars are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. No major customisations have been made.

$45,000 for fair or #4. #4 cars are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the fender has a minor dent. The interior could have split seams or a cracked dash. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or the interior might not be stock. No major customisations have been made. A #4 car can also be a deteriorated restoration.

Presumably these are values for which they are willing to insure them, with photo documentation.

Rob

Interesting , but as a buyer no indication of mechanical condidtion . based on that a concours car could break down in the first mile.
Which actually is not too bad, in that it’s not far to wlak home . It’s the breaking down 100 miles away that’s more inconvenient.

I personally would go for a car that was safe reliable and for that sort of money would ‘see me out’ without much more then proper servicing

Yes, it is Tom’s car. Sadly,he passed away in 2010. I wanted to restore
it for him and have had someone locally doing some of the body work. I
find that I can’t carry on with the project. My wish would be that a
restorer would take it on with a thought of reselling once it was
finished. I value the car and would like to see it restored to its former
beauty.

Thank you Rob for the information.
Anne

Anne,
So sorry to hear about Tom. He and I had some very helpful discussions on this forum about Mark V restoration details. I have a Mark V 4 door and Tom helped me work out some obscure production changes with the engine mounts.

To sell a collector car, the best thing is lots of pictures, and an accurate description of the car in its current condition, including any receipts for major engine work. Include any loose parts and special tools that should stay with it. The Mark V normally has a very nice tool kit, so be sure to keep any of those tools you have with it.
Buyers will want to know where it is, but you don’t have to give your address in the advert, just say the nearest city.

Here is an example of how a car is advertised with lots of pictures, all around, inside and underneath.
http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1951-jaguar-mk-v-drop-head-coupe-c-6372.htm
Unfortunately this is a dealer that just drags them in and sells them as is, gives no hint as to whether the engine turns free or is frozen with rust or blown up.

Hemmings Motor News is one place to advertise. There are 7 Mark Vs on there at the moment.
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?makeFacet=Jaguar&modelFacet=MK+5&adtypeFacet=carsforsale&year_min=&year_max=

Another one is Classic Auto Trader, 4 Mark Vs on there at the moment.
https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars-for-sale/jaguar-mark_v-for-sale
The beige one in Minnesota is an example of a #2-3 car, restored and clean but the blue carpeting would be a major deduction at a concours, and there are a few other incorrect things.

Keep in touch. We would love to see some pictures of it.
Rob

Hello Anne,

Hagerty Insurance is not too far in estimated values which are measured by the results of published public sales (auctions), though their updates often lag behind. Private transaction values remain private.

As Rob suggested, lots of pictures are the first step. If the car was ever entered in a car show, specifically Jaguar Concours, points results or awards are a good indicator of authenticity, condition, and functioning lights and horns. Mechanicals and safety reliability are not in the equation and should be detailed in car restoration description for a would be buyer. ie: if the brakes need improvements, emphasizing a functionally loud horn is a plus.
Another factor is color. While beauty is subjective, certain colors can be more appealing than others, hence influence value.
I sold my MK V DHC (647139) in Oct. 2008 during the economic crash, with the results that economic conditions have little influence for collectors.

Popop