Mark IV bonnet strut

Now that I have a running engine, how do I hold up the bonnet? I know that if it is openned by folding completely open it causes some damage to the center hinge.
Regards,
Dennis

I have a couple of 3/4" round wooden dowel rods with rubber furniture leg tips on both ends.

1 Like

I made some stays from round steel bar, some angle lengths (drilled to fit the hinge fixings bolt centres), a couple of simple “hinges”, a couple of spring clips to locate the stays when not in use, and some simple fork ends. These just clip up to the bonnet sections, and lift down to rest over the bulk head end of the radiator support arms when you need the bonnet up. Make sure the steel bar length is correct for the two bonnet sections not to clash together when rasied, and enough downwards weight on the bonnet to prevent it blowing up in a strong wind. Also make the folk ends long enough to go well over the radiator support and no passer by at the car show will knock it off!!! Here are some photos of what I did:

3 Likes

Dennis
For years, like Rob, I used a couple of broomsticks.
I decided to update to the system pictured.
Regards
David

Nice workmanship. You guys obviously went to more trouble and expense than me. I’ll probably copy one of your ideas when I eventually get around to restoring my car. Right now it’s a scruffy driver and I stow the dowels behind the battery when I drive it to British car shows and street rod cruise nights.

1 Like

Thank you for the great ideas. I will pick one and have the problem solved. If I need to work on it in the mean time, the broomstick the broomstick may suffice.
Dennis

And for Mark V…
I’ve found pictures of this on several unrestored Mark Vs, but have not been able to identify it.
dd43_12
dde4_12
It appears to be something off an American car of the 1940s when they had center hinge hoods similar to the Mark V.
If we could identify it, it could be something that is still reproduced for US cars.

this is mine solution

rgds

Polti

And all along I thought my flat bars were factory. ( One end of the bar bolts to the back of the radiator support rod, and the other end has a padded fork which holds the bottom of the hood side panel. When closed, each one folds down and clips in front of the incorrectly positioned battery. I can provide better pictures and measurements if anyone is interested.

Hood Strut