Mark V Saloon 627032

It’s pretty disconcerting that I still can not find the service manual CD on that site or anywhere else… I have googled a lot as well. Perhaps I need to contact them by phone… I’m so used to using e-commerce :joy:

Hi Mike, if you send me a private message I can help with sourcing service and parts manuals.

2 Likes

Hi,

Sorry, it looks like they have sold out the DVDs they used to have in here:

I hope you find what you need, you can of course also try e-bay etc.

Cheers!

https://www.gastonrenard.com.au/product/1548/SPARE-PARTS-CATALOGUE-FOR-JAGUAR-MARK-V

1 Like

It’s in my possession. Actually at my garage 20 minutes away. Still waiting for paperwork from DMV. Rain sure put a nice shine on it.

Everyone who thought it’s blue is correct!

3 Likes

Hi Mike,

Cool, but then it’s either been repainted in a non-original colour or Jaguar called that something else than blue. The only blue originally available from Jaguar back then was a metallic paint called Pastel Blue.

A JHT certificate would confirm the build date and original colours.

I’m glad you saved that car, it is one of the earliest survinving Mark V Saloons. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

I’ve no experience with certificates and other documentation on these.

A light pale sort of blue (like dove) was not available? Is this not pastel blue? I may get over there tomorrow to push it in the garage. Let me know what I should check and what photos to take.

Yes, it’s worth the money to get a JDHT certificate.
Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust
They require proof of ownership, i.e. a photocopy or scan of the title.
You also supply the engine number, gearbox number and body number, and they will confirm if those are original. They will not supply any missing numbers.
They will provide the original color scheme, build date, dispatch date, distributing agent, and sometimes the selling dealer and original owner, if they were recorded back in 1949.

Here is an example of Pastel Blue Metallic.

If you suspect yours has been repainted, a good place to look for the original color is inside the wheel rims.

There was a trial experimental color called Twilight Blue Metallic, which has been found on a Mark VII and an XK120, but it is not clear if any Mark V was done in that color.

2 Likes

Hi Rob,

Possibly, but not before the end of 1950, Mike’s car is a VERY early, like March 1949 Saloon, so Pastel Blue was possible, but to many eyes also a faded Lavender Grey (very light) and Birch Grey or Battleship Grey (quite dark) could look blueish. Only a JHT certificate would confirm what it was originally.

Cheers!

1 Like

Moved it in out of the weather today. Looks to be repainted same/close color? A layer seems to be coming off there, revealing more of same-ish. I’ll get the JHT certificate once all the paperwork is sorted with DMV - might be a week or three.

1 Like

That looks like it might be a color called “Birch Grey”.
Normally the wheel rims and the depressed portions of the hub caps would have been the same color.

Hi Mike, now that your new joy is in house and you have the Jaguar Service Manual for Mark V and the Spare Parts Catalogue for Jaguar Mark V Models there will be many general and specific issues that arise for your entertainment value. From your earlier note on this thread, here are some tips.

Wiring: yes, can be done by you. Caution, original wiring loom is around 75 years old, cloth insulator sections may be tattered, frayed, falling apart, particularly at rub points from vibrations. The dashboard wiring may be okay but there are a couple places in the dashboard wiring where age and vibration can cause a minor Lucas moment (I’ve helped replace fire damage in dash on three cars, including my own).

Brake rebuild parts: yes, you can get functioning brakes and maybe close to original parts. I’ve seen a lot of replacement parts which were not original spec for one reason or another. Some patience and seeing what is in the car and deciding how to replace is worth the safety aspect on this single hydraulic line system. And don’t think the handbrake has any utility at all, the umbrella design pancakes the cable very quickly in my experience. When the brakes are working normally, it is common for people new to Mark V brakes to think the brakes are a bit weak and require too much travel. In modern terms this is true, one has an acquired taste and driving care when using the Mark V.

Rod bearings: yes, that is not hard to overcome. The later XK engine crank and rod bearings work fine if a top-notch machine shop is involved. In some cases the XK pistons and rods work fine also. In my case, I use XK rods and bearings and have custom 0.070" oversize pistons.

There are some parts that are scarce. Be very careful with the oil pump and rev counter drive shaft C.493 page 18 spare parts catalogue. Also be careful with the rockers, ball-pins, and lock nuts which have special fine cycle threads designed to fail in your hands. Those bits are getting harder to obtain. If you choose to change the rocker shaft, learn a bit about the lubrication path as the replacements are different from original. Alan Gibbins, Spares Secretary for SS Register (or his son Brian Gibbins) The SS Register - Jaguar Drivers' Club Register can be important parts source in addition to Worcester Classic Spares. Clutch Pin, securing Fork to Operating Shaft C.568 page 26 parts catalogue commonly shears and should be examined for improved fitment if the clutch is taken apart (don’t assume it is okay if it appears still correctly assembled).

3 Likes

“a minor Lucas moment” :joy: :joy:

So are there only 32 LHD mark v saloons before mine, or do they skip numbers?

I see they used a different fuel pump on the earliest ones. :thinking:

Hi,

I think 31, not 32. :slight_smile:

And yours did have the earlier fuel pump, whatever the difference was, 627058 being the last LHD 3 1/2 Litre Saloon leaving the factory with the earler fuel pump.

Cheers!

Yes, yours would be the 32nd LHD 3-1/2 Liter saloon, and they did not normally skip numbers, although they also made RHDs and 2-1/2 Liters all together on the production line. The exact sequence is not known, although one can get a general idea by comparing body numbers, which were all numbered sequentially without designating LHD or RHD.

I believe the PP.19/L is a small body like this.

The L meant it was larger capacity than another model called the HP.

The PP.31/LCS is a large body like this.
SU fuel pump 009
The LCS meant Large Capacity Single.

Is yours mounted on the firewall like my SS picture above?
We’d love to see a picture of it.

I’ll take a lot more pictures next time I’m over there.

1 Like

So you have the earlier style ID plate.
I take it the gearbox number is on a separate plate?
T engines began at T5001 so yours is the 63rd engine.
Saloon bodies began at G1001 so yours is the 67th saloon body.
JH gearbox numbers began at JH10 so yours would be the 114th JH box.
The J means it was built by Jaguar under a license from Moss Gear Co. and the H means Helical. Jaguar also used SH boxes meaning Single Helical that were built by Moss, basically identical except for the countershaft.

1 Like

Tour of engine compartment… if i failed to zoom in on something of interest please let me know. Ill be here for about 5 more hours today.

1 Like

Very nice!

1. The black painted tall handle dashpot piston chambers on the carbs are as I expected for a very early Mark V engine. Later they dropped the paint and the handles became shorter.

2. The generator appears to be a correct original model.

3. The heater is the early type as expected, with the oval intake tube along the right feeding from an oval hole in the radiator. That tube was the subject of inquiries on this forum some time back. We shall be interested to see and hear more about it.

4. The distributor cap is later, like '52 or later. The vertical outlet of the wires interferes with the LHD steering column, but apparently some previous owner got it to work. Normally a Mark V would have a cap with horizontal wire outlets.

5. The windshield washer is not original, a later addition, looks like mid '50s.

6. The horn in the engine bay is very interesting. Most Mark Vs had the horns under the front apron. The Mark V spare parts catalogue lists a mounting bracket for use on the right hand side, and associated chassis numbers, but I have never seen one, and really had no idea where it was and what it might be like.
    I would be glad to get more pictures of that.

7. Black painted fuse box cover is correct.

8. The battery cable ends have been changed. Originally they were like little helmets.

9. I’m curious to know whether the air intake plenum has a chamfer on the lower rear, to clear the steering column. Mine does, but I don’t know when this was added on LHD cars.

Otherwise, everything looks to be original and as expected. An exiting project.

2 Likes

Closer look at horn and a couple other things, and tool kit. All four tires hold air! Car was last registered in 1970 then parked.

Intake plenum has chamfer to clear steering.

1 Like