Michael Balch - Obituary

In Memory of a good friend and a Jaguar XK120 enthusiast to the core!

This is in Memory of my friend and fellow Jaguar enthusiast Michael Balach who passed away on Wednesday, April 3, 2024.

Michael became a good friend and an enthusiast especially when it came to his XK120 and all things associated with it. We talked about the Jaguar Tool Bags and Tools for the early cars, correct and incorrect Colors and materials for them. We talked about the Factory installed Throttle Stop installed at the factory to limit the engine speed during the Run In period. He also discovered missing hardware from XK120 Front Door panels. These small, polished, metal plugs are installed at the factory and almost never seen today. We developed some of these parts for ourselves and then shared them with other Jaguar enthusiasts.

I will fondly remember Michael for our conversations and sense of shared endeavors. He is greatly missed.

To his wife and two daughters I offer our deepest condolences and best wishes for the future.

8 Likes

https://www.ilesfuneralhomes.com/obituary/Michael-J.-Balch/Des-Moines-Iowa/1892032

Mike was a regular on this forum. His last posting was on February 19th.

I met him only once, when he found for me a right rear door for my Mark V saloon. It was at the house of a friend of his, who was cleaning out Mark V parts after having restored and sold one. The house was at the end of a long lane and hidden with trees, so in order that I could find the lane, Mike parked his XK120 out on the main road to act as a beacon. Clever idea, and I came away with a trailer load of Mark V parts.

2 Likes

Well that’s sad. I’d come to think of him as one of several mentors here and I really valued his replies and the occasional offer to send me some minor – but important – small part to me gratis in the mail. Especially when I was working the bugs out of my current car that sat dormant for so long. In a small way this forum is just a little bit diminished with his passing. I didn’t know he’d been fighting cancer. I hope his relations have his password for this site so they can know his comments were always welcomed and appreciated.

I would like to echo the sentiments expressed by Chris P. above. My only connection with Mike was from reading his frequent and erudite posts here on the Forum. He was one of those consistent contributors who just seemed like a “fixture”. I found his observations and advice both measured and helpful. Sad indeed.

Chris.

1 Like

Mike was kind enough to send me a component that he had in his collection to replace one of mine that was broken, as well as give me advice on fixing the underlying part (one of the instrument panel rheostats).

1 Like

This is one of the “tangible” memories of Mike Balch I had, from an earlier correspondence we had on the subject of Marston Radiator Plates. He will be remembered.

Bob K.

It is with great sadness that I am learning of Mike’s passing. Even though I never met him in person, I purchased XK120 parts from him a few years ago and it was a smooth and pleasing transaction. After that, on several occasions, he provided advice and information to help with my car’s restoration, which made me realize his extensive knowledge of the Jaguar XK120. He was always keen on selflessly share that knowledge with fellow Jaguar owners. I remember him as a man who likes to do things right, helping others to work on their cars with authenticity and accuracy. A good man has left us. May you rest in peace, Mike.

Oh my God, what a loss to the family and … to us. He was always very hind and helpful…

Tadek

1 Like

I would like to add my sadness and condolences to Mikes family…
Whenever I asked generally for help in many research topics Mike was always one of first to offer help, and always followed up as best he could, which was always extensive…
One project he really helped with was when I was desperately seeking help with locating the incredibly rare - ORIGINAL C.2999 CONTAINER for CAM GAUGE. This was the previously unknown second variant made from one piece of leather, folded in half, and stitched on two sides only. Up until that point all the reproductions on offer were made of two pieces of leather, stitched on bottom edge as well as both sides - I have still never confirmed an original of this two-piece/stitched 3 sides CONTAINER - but given the many reproductions, surely they have existed??? Anyway Mike offered to get a reproduction of his one-piece/two-sides stitched original, exactly matching his ‘used’ original - matching the leather as best he could, but most importantly an exact match of one-piece leather pattern, matched the cotton thread re colour and pitch/pattern of two sided stitching to produce as near as a perfect reproduction as possible, using modern/new leather. He sent it to me free of charge, keeping a second repro he had made for himself. On receipt, I dug out an excellent original piece of TAN leather that I had cut from the seats of a 1951 Mark VII I had parted out, with enough ‘as-new’ 1951 correct TAN leather to make up three ‘near perfect’ , lets say NOS ??? (rather than reproduction) C.2999 CONTAINERS. Steve Kennedy who I have dealt with for many years re Tools research and reproduction Tool Rolls (and other bits and pieces) copied Mikes accurate reproduction, using my 1951 Tan leather, with the three ‘NOS’ C.2999 CONTAINERS staying with me (for my collection/reference), Steve kept one (his ongoing reference for additional repros using his best possible matching new leather), with the third one I sent back to Mike for all his unqualified help in this most challenging, and rewarding project. What a guy!
See attached photo of Mikes initial accurate reproduction C.2999, re pattern and stitching, on top of my piece of original 1951 TAN leather that ended up making THREE only ‘NOS’ C.2999 Containers…

(PS. I still have not seen an original 2-piece/stitched 3-sides Container so starting to wonder if they really did exist as a basis for the offered early reproductions. But I have now confirmed nearly 10 original one-piece/stitched 2 sides Containers, albeit still haven’t acquired one for my collection)

And attached are a few photos of Mike’s XK120 which he sold locally in Des Moines last year. I regret not getting a photo of him with his car on one of my trips to Des Moines.

OMG! MB was the one who helped me find and buy my xk120 in DM. MB was an all around great guy. So sad. RIP

John Feng

I will echo the chorus of other members here who never got to meet Mike, but who certainly enjoyed his contributions to the forum.

May he rest in peace.

I’m very sorry to hear the news of Mike’s passing. He epitomised all that was best about this forum, and his invaluable knowledge, on the XK120 especially, will be sorely missed. I only had direct dealings with him once, when he most kindly sent all the way to the UK an original offcut of leather in the darker Tan that was used on the early XK120s with Biscuit/Tan upholstery. That generosity of spirit made quite an impression on me. RIP, Mike.

1 Like