Minor steering pump leak

I have a small leak where the high pressure hose attaches to the pump. It’s coming out where the 1 inch nut fitting butts up to the outer pump wall (blue arrow). I already replaced the small o ring on the metal part of the hose that threads into this 1 inch fitting. I see there is an o ring on the fitting itself (green arrow], and assume there is a ring behind the pump wall ? (Red arrow). I wondered if I could put some kind of flexible washer at the blue arrow position so that when I tighten up it might stop the leak ? I appreciate this is not necessarily the correct way to repair this but at this point in time I just want it to stop leaking. I don’t know if the offset created by an extra washer might affect the pump function. Any advice greatly appreciated (photo taken from you tube video). Many thanks, Neil

I have the same issue, and assume I just need a new oring? Or I wonder if the threads needed some kind of sealant?

Yes, i saw in an older post you had what sounded like the same problem, and hoped you might have fixed it :smiley: if I manage to fix I will post back. In your old post it mentions o ring size 011 (green arrow maybe) . The threads look farther in than this o ring. I thought there might be an oring on the inside of the outer casing (red arrow), but am not sure. I really wanted to avoid taking the whole pump off to dis-assemble ! I understand the basics of the pump but not sure what the function of this 1 inch nut fitting is, with the spring assembly behind it etc.

There are square cut rings behind the outer housing in the outlet position along with ones under the two mounting bolts. These are between the outer housing and the inside pump. There is a cut out area they fit. There are two different thicknesses of them and both sizes usually come in the kit. If the recess is deep and the seal does not rise above the surface of the cut out area, then the thicker one is needed. The area in blue is not a high pressure area but there is not a cut out for an o-ring so not sure that would work.

So i bought a rebuilt p/s unit a few years ago and it’s leaked like this since i got it. I tried tightening that nut more, but no luck. For all i know, the reservoir seal is what is leaking? It’s more of a nuisance leak. I don’t have to top off.

I still have my original pump, so will rebuild it this summer. It’s a GM Saginaw, so lot of info out there. While i have it on bench, I’ll address that connection i hope.

I would be inclined to just braze that fitting to the pump body?

I’d first try fresh O Ring- even if that meant a generic Auto Parts store one, or stacking same. Threads ain’t tapered, so sealer not called for - not where sealing is to happen. That said- dab of Permitex #2 can not hurt- may stop vibration loosing. Sleep on it before you Braze, silver-solder, use “Metal-Epoxies”, et cetera. Best luck.

Off topic but on topic and with hope Dick Maury sees this because he rebuilt one or two…. If you rebuilt your own power steering pump and it doesn’t work, What did you probably do wrong? I see no pressure nothing moving inside the pump when the engine is running. I thought perhaps the pressure relief was assembled wrong, But it does match what was done in that video

Ended up removing PS pump and answering own question of what is easily done wrong…

The correct pin position is HOLES VISIBLE.

Correct:

Wrong:

Thanks for all replies. I concluded that the pump fluid was most likely leaking because the square cut rubber ring on the inside of the reservoir housing was not sealing sufficiently.
I got hold of a silicone rubber washer, measuring 1 mm thick x 18 mm ID x 30 mm OD, as pictured. I re-assembled, new pump fluid etc, and tested. This seems to have stopped the leak completely. A similar approach could maybe be used for the 2 bolts that secure the reservoir housing, if they leaked. Anyhow, alot easier than removing pump etc etc.