Missing lettering on trunk

Hi
Anyone know what character is missing here. I can’t figure it out.

Maybe the bootlid is from an XJ12, or XJ6 L . Is it LWB?

1 Like

Great point. I’ve only owned it a month. I’ll check on it’s length. Good call on the L. I’ll try to find one of those.

Or it could be an XJ6C. Do you have B pillars?

1 Like

It‘s an L.
Also missing the chrome strip above the plate?

1 Like

I do have a XJ6C too, but this is a regular XJ6.
I’ll need to find the L. I found some on eBay :slight_smile:
Thanks Guys

Good, also don’t forget the nylon grommets for the letter and the little X clips for the chrome strip :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@davidsxj6 this is probably a silly question, but what is the chrome strip & nylon grommets?

The chrome strip should be above the license plate just like the U shaped chrome strip you have below/around the plate.

The X brackets for said strip are at the bottom of this picture. This is a Series I trunk lid though.
The Nylon grommets are like little dowels that go into the two little holes to accept and hold the two pegs of the L in place. You can see some still inserted in my scrap piece.

https://www.angloparts.com/en/catalogues/group/2272/jaguar-xj-badges-and-boot-lid-finishers

9, 20 and something to hold 20 in place :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Back in the late 197’s & early 1980’s, there were many rust free series 2 XJ cars on the road here in rust free Southern California. However, with the ravages of the hot sun wreaking havoc on the paint of many of these cars, more than a few repainted cars could be spotted on our roads with the numbers and letters reattached to these cars in the wrong sequence.: ‘XL-J6", ‘X6-JL’, for example. Yes, this car in your photo should be XJ-6L’

1 Like

Sounds good. I’m going to measure my wheelbase today. I keep mine in a garage. The sun on the islands can be ferocious😳 these xj6 are getting rarer in good shape.
Omar

You don’t need to measure it; Chassis no for LHD XJ6L starts 2T50001, RHD 2T 1001. (Series 2 ?) Series 1 Start with 2E.

1 Like

Hi!
I believe its an L for xj6 L for litre.

Walter
1 Like

It’s a letter L meaning Long Wheelbase, which were about 5" longer than the short wheelbase cars, and can be easily distinguished by having a straight section in the top chrome window frame of the rear doors.
The part number is BD40964 and the plastic socket inserts you need to install it are BD25659.

1 Like

Surely someone here has a spare one of those L’s and can help this guy out.

1 Like

Minder,
Send me a Personal Message (PM) and I’m sure we can work something out. I have three used BD40964 “L” letters with two intact pins on the rear and would love to help you out. The “L” stands for the long wheel base model.

Paul

2 Likes

Thanks guys. appreciate the help. A couple of chaps have kindly reached out.
I had no idea mine is a long wheelbase :slight_smile: Great news.
I’m 6’4’ and was thinking wow there is a bunch of room in this classic Jaguar :slight_smile:

I think all of the extra room (4 inches) in the LWB Series 1 and 2 cars is for back seat passengers. You can extend the driver’s seat rails rearward, though, for more legroom–in either LWB or SWB models.

1 Like

Thanks guys. Got it fitted.

1 Like