Mixed emotions on the xjs

All summer long with several repair jobs coming up. .I asked the usual question to myself. …Why do I have this car…ought to sell it…a few of my friends told me I wouldn’t. get another classy car like the Jaguar again…to sell or not to sell became the question. …one way or the other the repairs had to be made…eventually they were…then I go to an informal classic car meet…make more friends…driving down the street I get big waves from kids I don’t even know…heads turning every where…its comfortable to operate (once inside) I’m feeling better about everything…not for sale…why…IT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD ALL OVER

3 Likes

That’s why you have it in the good times AND the bad :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recently went though a similar state of mind with my XJS, I have other cars that arguable cover every base better, but then you take it for a drive and right back to there is no amount I would take that is equivalent to the smile on my face

2 Likes

A gentleman doesn’t drive a Jaguar because it’s the sensible thing to do.

6 Likes

Scrimbo, I believe you just described the mental-war every jag owner. 8>)

1 Like

A proper sorted XJS is truly a great car…the last of a generation, the last of it’s breed, and the last proper mechanical grand touring car. One need only go for a sunday drive (after wax & polishing) to count the thumbs up from people as you go. Your mind and your wallet will rest at ease.

3 Likes

Curious, scrimbo, do you do your own work? Or have to pay someone to do it?

I always though luxury was measured by the amount on nonsense one can add to their life without it becoming arduous. As in my life is wrought with few enough hardships that the XJS hardly tilts the balance

1 Like

Some stuff i can do…anything under i can’t and long stretches of bending is hard on my back…any good mech can work on the v12…all the pipes and top of engine scares some away. I don’t do brakes… major engine…exhaust…transmission. …driveline…i am getting too old for heavy stuff.

1 Like

thanks, just curious. Wanted to make sure it wasn’t too much for someone like myself who does most of their own work. The XJS and V12 don’t scare me, I am looking for a challenge. Still looking to buy one that needs a little TLC.

Don’t be frightened by the apparent complexity under the hood, once you start learning the various systems it becomes a lot less overwhelming. People here are amazingly helpful, I have managed to avoid paying any shop labour or outsourcing any of the work on my XJS since I bought it and many of the tasks are not complicated but rather time consuming.

Provided you have the ability to lift a few heavy pieces or willing helpers, you ought to be able to manage. Is it going to be your daily driver or a pleasure vehicle?

2 Likes

Def just pleasure/project car. I’ve been maintaining two 97 Volvos for 12+ years now, so I’m not afraid of much. My Volvos are so damn dependable, I need something to give me a challenge. :wink:

What I’m a bit nervous about is a car 30+ years old, most things will need replacing that I haven’t done before.

I do all the work my self Greg.
Last time my car went to a mechanic was something like 13 years ago, when I first got the car.
I am now about to do major surgery: transmission mount, filter and fluid, driveshaft U-joints, half shaft U-joints and differential output seals and bearings…

The XJ-S is indeed a complicated beast, but nothing that can’t be done with the help of common sense, a good manual, the “Book”, some good tools and most important, this Forum.

and they are lots…
You start with the important stuff first; fuel, brakes, cooling and ignition…
Very important though, get a nice and rust free car.

Best of luck,
Aristides

I was fortunate to get mine ten years ago with 18000 miles. …now 45000…no winter use. .
always garaged…many minor parts changed…water pump…hoses. …belts…alternator…plugs…fuel pump. …window riser…Yet to do: rear mtr mount…ball joints…???