Mk. 2 Starting Carburetor wiring

When my mechanic installed the used unit purchased 31 years ago, he also used circular connectors. Even with the circular setup, after 31 years, the unit simply stopped working. The new unit I purchased several months ago looks just like the new one in the photo below. With new spade terminals & connectors, it has been working perfectly.

I know this will elicit several face palms, but while working on the main carburetor installation, I noticed these 2 wires as shown in the photo below (it’s been a long time since I’ve worked on this car!). Pretty sure now those went to the starting carb, but, while not obvious from the photo, both wires are green, and am 97% certain neither goes to the choke thermostat unit. In addition, the black wire that the thermostat is connected to doesn’t appear to go anywhere back towards to the solenoid.

I know what I need to do is trace all 3 wires, but if someone can confirm that one of the wires should be running directly between solenoid and thermostat, then I’m pretty sure I can manage from here on in.

Cheers!
Rick

The wires in your picture connect to the solenoid. Remove the cover and put the ring terminals on the solenoid. One of the wires goes to the hot wire on the coil (or any other live connection. I would turn on ignition and check for voltage. The other wire goes to the Otter switch on the manifold. The Otter switch is grounded when cold thus completing the solenoid circuit and activating it. Many owners install a switch bypassing the Otter as they tend to be unreliable. This may be the third wire you are seeing. See if there is a switch in the dash area. Hope this helps.

Several of you had recommended adding a switch to further control the operation of the starting carburetor. Turns out that this was already done by the previous owner, and it was done at the wire that goes to the Otter switch. Now I’m trying to trace the other wires. The wiring diagram says one wire goes to the brake/stop switch. Here, now, I have to admit I don’t know were that switch is, even though I know what it looks like. Which side of the firewall would it be?

Thanks again.
Rick

1 Like