MK II OEM manual to automatic conversion & aftermarket air-con

Hello all. I am looking at a very nice restored 1960 MK II with a 3.8 engine - it is an OEM manual and I want to convert it to an auto (a T700R4 or later). It seems like I have the auto installation parts solved (very knowledgeable and helpful guy in the USA - John R from John’s Cars). My ‘info’ is that the manual tunnel is much smaller than the auto and hence I will need to replace with an auto tunnel. QUESTION - will I need to replace the entire tunnel - or just the bolt on pressing that bolts to the top of the tunnel? Does anyone make a tunnel kit to install the auto in an OEM manual floor? Any suggestions which RHD kit has the most period looking air vents?
Thanks.

I have the John cars kit on my car ( with TH700-R4 ). But my car was already a automatic.
But when I compare my transmission tunnel with a manual from a friend, I see that on the bulk head side the tunnel on the automatic is much larger, even just lage enough for the TH700-R4 to fit. The Bellhousing of this box is much wider that a manual gearbox.

Your best bet would be to source a tunnel from a wrecked auto car. As has been stated the auto tunnel is larger than the manual. You will also need the trans tunnel cover as that is also different from the manual.

1 Like

Thanks - HA - I am a MK II novice.

Thanks - yes - a good idea, I will start looking for a wrecked MK II - problem being that anything that was wrecked here in AUSTRALIA, has probably long ago gone to the crushers.

Moby,

I sent you a private mail,.

Rob

I have a 1960 Automatic I’m restoring and converting to manual. Might consider swapping tunnels…

1 Like

An original 3.8 manual Mk2 is a desirable car. Changing the gearbox will affect it’s value significantly.

Were it me I’d be looking for an existing automatic if I wanted to go down that route.

2 Likes

I agree. Think the manual is more desirable. If anything get rid of the moss box for an all synchro or 5 speed.

If you are working on the tunnel, couldn’t you have someone plasma cut the old area out and form a new tunnel area. It should not be the entire tunnel. I’ve also considered adding a XJ6 type shifter mechanism directly over the transmission to eliminate a lot of linkages and potential fitment issues.

I had thought John at John’s cars was retiring??

… beat me to it.

Thanks - and no offence meant - but I have no interest in what you or anyone else thinks of the value of MY cars - if you have to worry about what your car is worth - then I suggest that you may be best to seek another hobby - cars are rarely if ever a wise investment. It annoys me when people start making comments about something not related to what I asked for an intelligent response to. Whether you paint your car pink and install shag pile carpet is no concern to me - it is YOUR car - you do with this want you want. But if you asked me a question about a part or modification etc - I would answer (HA - assuming I knew the answer) in an intelligent response and would not make any ‘value of the car’ remarks - it is YOUR car - YOU do what you WANT - HA - just as I will do with my cars. I guess it is ‘wiser’ to preface any questions with - “I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT MY PINK PAINT AND SHAG PILE CARPET - PLEASE STICK TO THE TOPIC” - HA. Thanks.

Read above. Thanks.

“Yes and No” - HA - the car is almost restored by the current owner (nice job he has done) - I have to decide which way to go. But I have no interest in a manual MK 2, hence it is either ‘install an auto - or move on to a project from scratch’ type scenario - both have their ‘good & bad points’. HA - I drive other cars and bikes that have manual (no auto available for) - the MK 2 will be a daily driver - auto - air - elec steer - elec windows - central locking (HA - I will be asking some more questions re suitable elec window kits and air-con kits next - I will post those under new topics).

Thanks Rob - I will look at it ASAP.

Good luck, make the car yours. Thats what I’m doing going from auto to manual, modified XJ seats, 9:1 pistons, SP head with triple carbs and several personal touches.

1 Like

No need for a rant.

3 Likes

The DO NOT bother reading my replies - I am TIRED of people making irrelevant comments to a question.

As a moderator its part of my modus operandi to read posts, for better or for worse.

5 Likes

A major upgrade from the 700R box is a newer electronic version. This lets you use a standalone transmission ECU. Now you can dial in shift points, different drive modes. How hard the shifts are, etc. my car was originally an automatic and we swapped to an older version of the 700r. Setting it up to shift were we wanted it to was a nightmare and I really disliked the car. My engine made 260hp on the dyno and with the box shifting at 2000 rpm the car was just boring. Major improvement