Mk IV Jack found

I was turning a piece of steel in the 4 jaw chuck and through small amount of carelessness it came out of the jaws and fell down behind the lathe. So down on my knees to see where its gone and under the bottom part of the lathe base was all sorts of stuff I’d forgotten about. Including a MK IV jack

Completely un-restored and I can report that everything is red, except for the arm which was black and painted separately before assembly.

I have obviously lived a good life and deserve this pleasant surprise. But a lotto win or at least a pair of QKs would have been that little bit better.

1 Like

Hi Ed,

It would not be right for a MKV, would it? (Yes, I am still missing a jack) mine is the type with the separate ratchet, I have an original ratchet I bought from Stoneleigh, but no jack.

Yes, if it had happened to be a Ferrari 250 GT jack you could get quite a bit of money from it. :wink:

Cheers!

Pekka T.
Fin.

PS. I don’t know how weel/poorly this translates through google translator, but anyways the 90 million Euro Eurojackpot lottery win is still uncashed…

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtv.fi%2Fuutiset%2Fkotimaa%2Fartikkeli%2Feurojackpotin-suurvoitto-yha-lunastamatta-90-miljoonan-euron-jattipotin-olisi-voinut-saada-tilille-tanaan%2F6794662%23gs.LN5tOU8&edit-text=

If you are not 100% concerned about Originality, a Mark IV jack can be turned into an early Mark V jack by simply cutting down the ‘H’ section lifting arm, or turned into a late Mark V jack by cutting down the lifting arm and milling down the hexagon drive nut to a smaller size.

Mark IV and early Mark V Jacks are not worth a lot, but late Mark V Jacks are, as they are same as early XK120 jack.

It has already been allocated a home . The 37 SS saloon was missing its jack and this will fill the space excellently . I don’t know how long it’s been lying there. t least 30 years
I know there’s another irreplaceable treasure probably under there some where. I may have to remove the bench and do a thorough inventory.

Hi guys,

Sorry I didn’t respond sooner, I like reading on the iPad but hate typing on it.

Back at the computer (instead of the garage) I am not sorry the jack went to a good home, for me the need is like collecting stamps or coins, I would like to have one, as I have an empty slot for it, but it was not the right one for me and I would hardly ever use it. :slight_smile:

Come to think about it, I do hate that I once walked by, early in the morning a correct unrestored jack in Stoneleigh, maybe 6-7 years ago, then went back 5 mins later to buy it and of course it had been sold already! The asking price was less than £100, I don’t remember exactly. It was the late MKV / early XK120 type of course.

But it’s all part of this hobby. :smiley:

Cheers!