MK1 HD6 Carburetor reutrn spring

Engine was removed and reinstalled a few years ago, then stored. Now in the process of restoring it and as a part of tunning the carburetors determined that the carburetor return spring is missing. I just received a replacement spring but cannot determine where/how it should be attached on the linkage/structure under the carburetors. Any suggestions?

If it’s the big long (6" plus) one it goes from the outside end of the central throttle actuator arm to a bracket located on one of the top oil filter housing bolts.

Access is pretty tight.

Andrew

Thank you. I failed to note that the carb’s are HD6’s. The spring is about 3 inches in length. You are right, it is very tight.

John

In that case there is an inch long arm on the spindle that connects to the end of the Y shaped bracket attached to the bottom two carb studs.

Andrew:

Used a mirror and found the y shaped bracket. Thanks!

Another question. I have been trying to adjust the engine idle speed, which is high, for the HD6 carb’s with no success. Had the carb’s refurbished by a professional and I have adjusted them in accordance with published instructions. Very frustrating!

Does the large aluminum air intake adapter for the carb’s need to be removed? I have left it in place, I had problems many years ago with an XKE that was solved by reinstalling the air intake adapter.

Regards:

John

Mail for Windows

Hi John,

This usually means that there is not complete closure of one or both butterflies. Remove the intake plenum and look inside to see if they both close - a mirror and torch might be needed. If not easy to determine, try a test.

To test, release the locking of the spindles and push the butterflies further closed. Now start the engine and see if it behaves.

My S-type had a similar problem and the cause was one jet had seized in a low position. The jet adjustment screw cannot correct this as it relies upon the internal spring return system and the carb had to be partly dismantled.

Peter

Peter:

It’s very nice to be able to discuss issues like this with someone that has some experience. Thank you very much, I will try your suggestion tomorrow.

Best Regards:

John