Mk2 aluminum radiator

Next big purchase on my list is an aluminum radiator for my Mk2. Engine is currently in a run-in stand and will need this to fire up. I have my sights set on a Wizard Cooling radiator, but see lots of $200-250 options both on eBay and XKs Unlimited. I’m hesitant on the cheaper models on eBay, but the XKs version for $250 might be legit. Wizard radiator is about $650. Not trying to be a cheapskate here, but if there’s a quality version for $250 the $400 saved can be put to use elsewhere.

Anyone have experience with any of these they can share?

Tom

Tom, I know from first hand experience and I believe a few others here will corroborate, the Wizard Radiator looks great but the mounting does not fit as original. Modification to the radiator will be required. It is not plug and play.
Lin

Thanks, Lin. Just found that entry on your website. Great site, and thanks for the many hours of effort you put into that. I’ve referenced it many times :slight_smile:

So the Wizard radiator mounted too high. Was this a function of the pedestals at the bottom? I’ve highlighted them below. The drawing is from the Wizard site.

I’ll have to go take some measurements of my old radiator. Do you know if they modified their design based on your feedback? How much off was the height?

These guys are pretty awesome, and reasonably priced.

http://www.rondavisradiators.com/

Ron Davis products are undoubtedly very high quality. I did find that with my stock fan the clearance between the blades and the radiator were VERY small. One day on a high acceleration and then heavy braking maneuver run, I managed to put my fan through the $700 radiator. I got $17 for it a the recycle yard.

I now run a stock radiator with a electric pusher fan. I would probably try one of the less expensive ones as I also want to save money for other parts. I know the aluminum will cool better than the stock model and the day will come when I need to make the switch. I have for many years been using cable ties directly through the radiator fins to hold the Derale fan in place. A feat my mechanic at the tme swore would not work.

Gerard

Tom, the side to side maesuements were fine. The length was the problem. I am not at home at the moment and don’t recall the degree that the measurement was off. As you saw on my site the upper tank depth is a problem also. The wiring that crosses in front of the radiator won’t fit in front of the Wizard radiator. I wasn’t happy with that. All just my opinion.
Lin

I got a chance to measure my stock radiator and the top to bottom dimensions are same as quoted by Wizard in their drawing @ 22 3/8". I wonder if the one you got was out of spec or if the shape of the upper tank (squared profile versus rounded when viewed from side) had anything to do with it.

As far as the wiring issue you encountered, I don’t believe that will be a concern for me. I’m open to rerouting this if needed.

I have a mail into Ron Davis, they don’t list a Mk2 radiator on their site.

Nobody using the XKs radiator @ $250? Says it’s manufactured by XKs Unlimited…but I assume this to mean manufactured for…but what do I know? Uses steel frame to mount to car which is different than any others I’ve seen.

Will need to watch the fan to radiator clearance. Having a fan go through the radiator doesn’t sound like a good experience!

I am fairly sure that Dan sells the Ron Davis Radiators and he has some kits on his page already made up:

http://classicjaguar.com/cjparts/radiators.php

Lin makes a good point about the wires, even with my stock radiator, I would have rather had all of the wires placed under the area where the hood striker pin now barely touches the wires. This would have meant that all of the wires would need to be lengthened just a tad. I foresee that they will wear over time and that job will be coming to make a new harness for this area. I have the wire bundle wrapped with tape in an attempt to preserve their integrity.

This is a picture of the BRAND NEW radiator. Note the beautiful welding.

I can’t find the damaged picture anywhere but it would have brought tears to your eyes.

Gerard

My Mk 2 radiator was sludged up. I looked at all the options you are considering. There is a good old fashioned radiator shop in town, my top and bottom tanks were good, and so I had my original radiator recored with, as I remember, a three row aluminum core. Cost about $500. I followed John quilter’s lead on pusher fan, and I also ditched the old fan and modified a much lighter (and more efficient) plastic fan to go on the water pump. That involved enlarging the hub hole and trimming down the blades. I tried the shroud from SNG, but they don’t fit, so - no shroud yet. So far no overheating. Just another option. Good luck, David

Has anyone actually tried one of the radiators listed on Ebay, cannot believe the price. JS

I installed a Wizard radiator and found that it was about 1/2" too high so that the header tank contacted the underside of the bonnet - see the first picture.

Having contacted Wizard and got NO response! I modified the mountings so as to lower the radiator buy about 3/4". This involved slotting the upper side brackets, cutting off the original lower mounts, and making two new lower brackets that were shorter than the originals. The lower brackets consisted of a simple cradle lined with rubber pads into which the radiator base sat. See the pictures.

Although I was disappointing by the lack of response to my problem, the radiator itself is well crafted and I have done about 5000 miles with it with no problems. I use the original fan only.

Bruce M

Sounds like buyer beware with Wizard. If I go down that path I’ll see if I can talk to them first. Their line drawings (in my earlier post) have the overall height the same as my stock radiator at 22 3/8". Maybe they made changes along the way?

The reason they did not get back to me was I guess because they had a batch made and, given the small market demand, it wasn’t worth their while to remake them.

As so often in the aftermarket business, the customer owns the product as well as its associated problems.

Since mine was bought in April 2015, perhaps they sold enough to clear the incorrect stock and have made some new ones. It’s hard to tell from the web site. I would ask them for the dimension from the bottom mount plane up to the side mounting lug and then compare this to what you have.

It’s all a pity because it is really nicely made - just wrong!

Good Luck

Bruce

I got my Alloy Rad off e-bay around 3 years back , no problem to date , you only get what you pay for right !!
Well it cost well under £150 inc post from China , and they marked it up as a water tank at £45 , so I did not have to pay import tax !
Only down side mine don’t have a drain tap ,
I would buy another one , but not at £500 -£700 , no way !!! :sunglasses:

d8ff6c8508f2040f7b95f4b8d0cd84964d6fa89e_1_690x388[1]

I put an XKs Unlimited radiator and an XKs shroud around the stock fan on my
Mk I. This system works fine except for very hot days start and stop driving.
But then, who wants to drive start and stop?

I forgot, the real effort in installing the radiator was painting it black so that it did not stick out like a big silver thumb.

Update on my aluminum radiator pursuit. One of the Michigan Jaguar parts supplier regulars has radiators locally made nearby in Michigan. They had one for just over $500 for the Mk2. I ordered the radiator and after some email exchanges about fit which concluded in a yes, it’s a drop-in fit, but height was 22 3/4" vs stock 22 3/8". I agreed to take a chance on the height as I wasn’t sure that would be an issue and also would be an easy modification if needed.

Radiator arrived yesterday and looks nicely built. However, it doesn’t fit and isn’t even close. The width of the radiator is about 3/4" too wide and there’s no way to even make it fit. In the Mk2 the radiator slots in between uprights built into the unibody that are 17 1/2" apart. The radiator is 17 3/4" at this same point. In addition to this, the mounting holes in the pedestals are 16" apart versus stock 15 1/4".

So at this point I’m returning the radiator. Also (as previously noted by other posters) I am now skeptical of “drop-in fit” and “no modifications needed” verbiage!

Hopefully the manufacturer of these (name known) didn’t make too many as clearly these are destined to the scrap bin.

Tom

That’s really odd. It takes a lot of work to make a radiator, and it
doesn’t take any additional work to make the dimensions correct. Perhaps
it’s correct for the S-Type or some other car so it isn’t completely
useless.

Mike Eck
New Jersey, USA
www.jaguarclock.com
'51 XK120 OTS, '62 3.8 MK2 MOD, '72 SIII E-Type 2+2

Agree, Mike…it is odd. You would think that making small batch, low demand radiators you’d make sure the dimensions were correct. Below verbiage is from supplier’s website. I can’t imagine Jaguar had many variations in radiator dimensions across the Mk2 lineage?

It’s not completely useless, I could make use of it on my run-in stand…but I’m not buying a radiator just for that. I’m sure some other application could make use of it. Like I said before, it appears to be a nicely built radiator.

Just got an email that XK’s is having a sale on MK2 radiators which they make in house. For their asking price and their knowledge of actual dimensions, it looks like you can’t go too wrong?

http://xks.com/i-6916979-jaguar-alloy-radiator-mk-i-and-mk-ii-sedans-manual-3-4s-3-8s-co-18920a.html

Gerard