Mk2 ash tray lid

I would like to remove the ashtray lid on my Mk2 to do some minor repair. Other than disassembling the lovely piano hinge, is there some way to accomplish what should be a trivial task?
As always, thanks for any advice.

Make sure you take numerous pictures of the orientation of the hinge as I had someone mess up the job for me and things will never be the same again. Do not lose the very TINY screws holding it all together. I opted for the installation of a cup holder from a vendor which did not meet my quality standards and I had to re finish to suit my taste.

Pry it gently from the console from different angles as it may be somewhat seized in with numerous sticky items over the last 50 years. While its all apart you could always put sound and heat blocking material in the console, makes a world of difference to keeping the heat down/

Gerard

Hello Jag Man:
Just so I’m clear, are you saying I should pry out the part to which the lid is attached - a frame that surrounds the ashtray itself? Is it a press fit or are the TINY screws to which you refer holding it in? (I see the tiny screws holding the hinge to the frame).
Thanks
Jim

The tiny screws only hold the piano hinge on the base. The entire thing does come out of the console. It is a tight fit.

You might not want to pull everything out? Wht repair are you attempting?

Gerard

Gerald
An air freshener, such as usually hangs from the rear view mirror, was placed on the top of the ashtray lid and left there for a couple of weeks. The chemicals in the “freshener” leached into the leather and, when I removed it, caused the damage seen here. I’m going to try to repaint it first. If that isn’t satisfactory I will remove it and have it recovered in matching leather.
Thanks for your advice. So far I have been unable to pry the structure from the console for fear of damaging something else.
Jim

I think there are fairly stiff spring clips holding the ashtray body into the console, one per side. These can be rusty. I would pour a little leather cleaner around the lip of the ashtray body to lube the clips. Buy a set of plastic prybars (sets on amazon for less than $20). the pry gently, moving around the ashtray, and it sould come out. I wouldn’t fuss with the lid hinge. Good luck! David

It is quite easy to remove the entire console, and then you can approach the removal of the ash tray from the bottom, with no need for prying and potentially ruining the other leather.

Mike is right about removing the entire console. and you can replace the shift boot torn rubber, add heat insulation, get a new shift knob, and the list goes on. I have had great results with products from this company: https://colorplus.com/ I have not used their re-dye process which looks good in their web pictures.

Your growler emblem looks to be in good shape so take care not to damage them as there are expensive.

Unscrew the knob to get the console shift enclosure leather over the shift shaft. It involves turning the metal base away from the ball and then unscrewing the ball away and off of the shaft. Next note the orientation of the shift ball, metal base and unscrew it and all will be easy. Don’t drop the black ball as it will crack VERY easily! I now have a new one from the guy in Florida who makes beautiful wood Fob’s and shifter knobs.

Gerard

Happened upon my un installed ashtray and I took some close up video shots to help you see the location of screws, clips and how to remove the silver tray itself.

Gerard

Thanks Gerard. This was very helpful.
Regards
Jim