Mk7 daydreams and nightmares

Unfortunately it has been a very long time for me.

The post above is absolutely outstanding ^^^^^^^^
One could not ask for more.
@Rob_Reilly is incredibly experienced and knowledgeable.

Me?
While I will do every and anything myself, never hesitate…
Strangely, the one thing I don’t seem to consider messing with are alternator/generators, starters, and gauge rebuilds.

I send them off for restoration.

Sorry to read of your troubles.
It really isn’t that bad. Don’t scrap the head.
Take time and advice here, search for a shop.

Excuse me, but I’m concerned the siren song of these cars will become a bad experience for you.
These old cars require maintenance and one willing to service them don’t forget.
Having another service them always will become prohibitively expensive, fast.

The resources available nowadays are extraordinary.
Especially when I recall having only a confusing Haynes manual and had to drive cross country for a part.

So don’t allow yourself to get too overwhelmed…or burn yourself out.
You’ll get it.

All the best

Got it all under control . Got the head problem sorted , got the carbs sorted . I will do the rebuild and all the other bits and pieces . Got a top notch bodywork guy to do that stuff . She will emerge like a butterfly from a chrysalis , watch this space !!!

2 Likes

Oh you got me there, now I’m holding my breath! :smiley:

Cheers!

Time to order gaskets , hoses etc . Back in the day the head gasket was a simple payen , or similar , applied with no jointing compound . But now , many favour the composite type . Many times the price , but better ? I am consulting the oracle .

I’m curious how you repaired the capillary tube for the temperature gauge. I though that a certain amount of ether had to be reinserted to make the gauge work properly. How did you do this and calibrate it?

It gets no better than this!

Hi john , the copper pipe had a definite break close to the bulb , so I cut it off , unsoldered the two halves of the bulb , pushed the pipe back into it , and making sure the pipe wasn’t blocked , soldered the bulb back together . Then s**t happened . I got the guage apart , the capillary tube was miniscule , and I managed to break the tiny spring in the temperature bit . So I never got as far as filling with ether :sob:

Great tutorial on gauge repair by Rob Reilly. I love to learn but not likely to tackle this project.

1 Like

Waiting for the head , carbs and temp / oil guage to come back , time to look at a few things that don’t work ! Found a chafed starter wire behind the dash , this may have caused it to work intermittently . Cigar lighter don’t work , need a replacement . Trying to get the screen washer to work ,. The two pipes from the control on the dash don’t reach anywhere near the washer bottle , how does this thing work ? Painted the block gloss black , maroon arrives tomorrow for the engine bay . All gaskets on the way . Oh , and the lift is here , need the car to be a runner before installation is possible . Exiting times !

You are stretching my memory, is it manifold vaccum operated

(I could be thinking of an older vehicle I had)

It’s a Trico vacuum system worked from suction from the inlet manifold. These were quite popular right up to mid 60s and fitted to a number of cars as OE or accessories.
Many have been converted to modern electric pumps.
Make sure the rubber inlet manifold tube isn’t leaking or it will weaken the mixture on the rear cylinders.

1 Like

Ok, thanks , I seem to have a lot of tubes missing , those going to the bottle , need a diagram to find what’s missing , and what goes where .

If the washer unit itself is faulty, and it’s odds on it will be, just make sure the manifold fitting is blanked off and convert to an electric pump using the original reservoir.

2 Likes

Here’s how the tubing is routed for your Trico vacuum-operated washer bottle unit. Test the system by attaching a vacuum to the upper connection of the vacuum canister (on top of the water bottle). If it won’t hold a vacuum, you will need to replace the vacuum canister.

In some cases, the push button vacuum control on the dashboard may be non-functional.

1 Like

Thank you Mike , very helpful . Most of that is missing when I get the head back , I’ll give it a go .

Ok guys , mk 7 has two tanks and two petrol pumps . Are the pumps drawing fuel simultaneously or does one work on each tank . And when you switch over , are you just seeing what’s in the other tank ?

One pump works one tank only. The gauge shows the contents of the tank you are using.
If the tank filters need replacing you can buy the Jaguar types for about 50 pounds a time, or use an alternative which I detailed in a post of mine which cost 7 pounds.

Thanks for that mate . I guess your mk9 will be laid up for a while now .

It was laid up for an engine rebuild all of last year and this year everything was cancelled. Beginning to wonder why I bother!
It’s become more of a static exhibition than anything else.
Best of luck.

When I switch from one tank to the other , the guage momentarily flashes to the other side , then back again . Maybe a short ? Must put more petrol in the tanks , see if it shows on the guage .