MK9 Engine Oil for Australian driven big girls

Hello I’m in the process of getting my MK9 (past down from my Dad)
back up and running after many years sitting. I was wondering what Engine Oil Australian drivers are using as oils have changed a bit since 1959.

I have a 4.2L XK, most people I know use Penrite HPR30 (20W-60) or HPR 40 (25W-70), may not be same for 3.8L, but, hopefully of some help.

If the engine has not been used for a long time, I would give it an engine oil flush, and in any case for warm Oz conditions I favor any reasonable quality 20W-50

As the refill may even exceed 10L, I buy when the auto chains have a 50% sale and have it on hand

much debate can be had on the issue

some favor oil with high zinc as we have flat tappets, and I see no harm in that, as you have no cat convertor

The original XK engine was not designed to require high quality oil, just lots of it, and nice and clean is ideal

Your engine may have sludge if it sat with the motor unused for more than a couple of years

1 Like

I’ll 2nd that! Also using Penrite HPR30 as recommended by engine builder for all XK road going engines.

Car is MK2 3.4.

What Tony said, and I would be very careful turning the engine because the valves can become sticky and not return in time after sitting for many years.

1 Like

I’m cheap. I use Valvoline 20W 50.

Given that I do an oil change about every 2000 miles I think this is fine.

1 Like

Would it not make sense to use thinner oil and perhaps kerosene in the crankcase for a few minutes of the first start up. I have done this under close scrutiny to remove enormous amounts of crud and the oil came out coal black. I would not drive like this for fear of spinning a bearing.Multiple oil changes will be necessary and you might as well use the inexpensive oil without allowing the engine to get too hot. Filter changes are vital. I second the plan to rotate the engine manually. Pull the spark plugs and fill the cylinders with ATF or Marvels Mystery Oil allowing that to soak for up to a week. A 33 millimeter socket on a long pry bar can be gently used to turn the engine. Our local auto parts stores loan out large sockets to spare you the expense of having to buy a tool you’ll probably use once. Work on one individual thing at once to pinpoint problems and not add confusion to solving running issues. Make a check list as there will be many details to get it running properly again. Lots of information available on this forum. Your fuel will be unusable. Use caution dealing with ancient fuel on your skin and getting in your eyes. How long has it been sitting? There are many upgrades to enhance performance such as 123 ignition and Pertronix distributors.