MKIV Trafficators

Hello All,

I have been offered two Lucas model SF80 semaphore trafficators (New Old Stock). Would they fit a 1948 3.5 MKIV?
The arm extends 7.1/4" (184mm) from pivot point.

I do wonder why Lucas didn’t just offer one variant and let car manufacturers just make them fit?

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

I don’t think SF80 is correct. The chrome facing on the arm should be 8.5" long.

I think the variations determine the level of sophistication and not all car manufacturers were prepared to pay for the features that are used in our cars. For example ours’ include a little switch that operates the dashboard warning lamp that shows when the trafficator arm is fully extended and there is a mechanism that prevents the arm from being raised if the solenoid has not been energised thus preventing the arms from flapping on bumpy roads.

Peter

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the message. It was just worth asking as new old stock is worth considering. Perhaps I could use the solenoids and incorporate the arms? I can still restore the correct semaphores I have.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim

I ask Ian MUllis about restoringthem.Weirdly Jaguar used2 types in that theDHCs had the shorter arm trafficators Like the MK V] Also there were 2 differeant systems.A 2 wire and 3 wire system.

I found that both of my “dead” trafficators on my MKIV were repairable. Careful clearing of the electrical parts and contacts inside, followed by lubrication of the moving parts, had them working OK. Just need to locate them back in the side pillars accurately so the come out and spring back without catching the bodywork. I replaces the filament bulbs with flashing LED’s within the units - just to make sure other drivers noticed my intended manoeuvres.

Some pictures showing the simple inside workings and my bulb to LED replacement.

Thank you David & Ed,

There is no problem with restoring the original trafficators fitted to the car. I was simply wondering if parts, such as the electrics, were interchangeable between models as I have been offered two new old stock trafficators.

I would certainly like to fit the flashing LED’s for the obvious safety benefits in today’s traffic.

Peter Scott has a fine YouTube clip showing them working.

Cheers,

Tim

That is a HUUUUGE improvement!

And they don’t require any special wiring. You just fit them, add normal power to raise the arm, then the LED does the rest!

1 Like

Hi There,
Those flashing LED’s look like the best option. Can someone please put up a link to where I can get them?

in regards to trafficators, I managed to buy a number of NOS pairs of the arms for MK IV Saloons. Not sure if they are the same as DHC.

Kind Regards
Bill

[quote=“Bill_Daws, post:9, topic:373892”]
number
[/quote]the dhc are different, shorter and with a ridge along the cebtre of the metal part… like MKV

Hi Bill,

I bought mine from Just Kampers in Australia https://www.justkampers.com.au/flashing-semaphore-led-festoon-bulb-7mm-cap-12-volt-pair.html
Here is the UK link https://www.justkampers.com/flashing-semaphore-led-festoon-bulb-7mm-cap-12-volt-pair.html
And the USA https://www.justkampers.com/flashing-semaphore-led-festoon-bulb-7mm-cap-12-volt-pair.html

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks Tim,
Just ordered a pair from Just Campers in QLD.
Kind Regards
Bill

Thanks Ed,
Appreciate your advice.
The ones I found are definately for the Saloon.
Kind Regards
Bill

It’s a pleasure Bill.

Naturally polarity matters and assuming your MKIV is + earth you’ll quickly work out which way to put them in, unlike the screw in bulbs which need to be internally set up for + or - earth.

Cheers, Tim