MkIX.Converting dynamo to an alternator

Does anyone have experience of how difficult it is to either fit an alternator on to the engine block or convert the dynamo connected to the power steering pump in to an alternator?

Best way is to use a Dynamator. On Ebay Tudor makes one for use with a power steering pump on back. 45 amp alternator. It’s a bolt on part.

Just remember alternators are negative earth. Not sure if any Jaguars used positive earth systems, if so it will need converting also.

Hi,

IIRC about 1936-1964. With generators the positive ground is better. With alternators it had to be changed to negative earth. Nowadays you can have an alternator with positive ground if so desired.
Jaguar changed to alternators and negative ground starting in 1964 with the 4.2L E-type.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Laurence,
There is LOTS of discussion on this topic in the Saloons forum… just use the “magnifying glass” icon field at the top right of your screen to search key words.

The dynamo look-alike units are the easiest to install because they’re plug-and-play; the downsides are that they’re ridiculously over-priced, and they don’t produce enough amperage to accommodate a lot of extras like cooling fans, A/C, etc.

Search the archives, and good luck!
Jay

Here is my story about Stealth Dynamator conversion:
https://kulusjarvi.eu/restor18.htm
My car was already changed to negative ground.
Köpi

The link won’t open for us Yanks.

The Dynamator supplied in the UK is listed here; can be pos or neg earth, with or without p/steering. Less than GBPÂŁ200. Notwithstanding, our car is fine with dynamo inc p/steering and if neg earth required, easy to convert.

https://www.accuspark.co.uk/dynamator.htm

As most of the traffic on my website is from United States, I think your problem
is in your browser or firewall settings.

You can get this at a fraction of the price of the others out there.

In the U.S. AC Delco made a positive ground alternator and a good shop can build one for about a $100.00 . They are belt driven.

AccuSpark in the UK has that same “Dynamator” for slightly less than Tudor, with or without the PS drive off the back end. It’s still only 45 amps, however, so there is a limit to the electrical goodies that you can accommodate.
Jay

For those of you with a factory generator, let us know the results of this test. Turn on the wipers, lights and the heater fan. Everything will dim or slow down significantly. The amp meter will instantly jump to a big charge state. Is the battery even getting charged? The factory choice for 45 amps seemed way too low. Converting to a 95 amp alternator will make a world of difference. Consider that you’ll be using more ancillary devices and this would be the logical choice. Brackets are not too difficult to cobble up. I have a separate p/s pump for the rack and pinion.