Mkvii - ix pictures

Luckily this one is preserved in a small car museum at a small vineyard/winery in Quebec.
I think it may be a Mk8.

1 Like

Looks like a roller is there too. Nice.

Were your previously posted Mk7 photos in Nova Scotia?

Lotsa good parts there for someone. Unfortunately these cars have been neglected and under appreciated for decades now.

Best regards,
Tom Brady

Yes, when I had the black Mk7 I lived in Nova Scotia. The car was rusted badly and was sold to a guy up in the Annapolis Valley, who was unfortunately going to part out the car. I think I may still have the title, so if that Mk7 still exists the owner can have that old 1970s title free.

The Mk9 in the U-Pull junkyard was last summer in Ontario where I now live. And I did buy many small parts like Cheney clamps, washer nozzles, a Rimbellisher clamp, lighters and a hard-to-find copper plated fuse box knob.

There were many valuable parts such as engine, trans, running gear and disc brakes which I hope someone else got.

1 Like

One of my favourite Jags. Unfortunately the tacho/rev counter stopped working last week. Probsbly the generator (Mk9).
Will try another one, but dont want to remove the cam cover just yet.

3 Likes

Lovely looking car. Not necessary to remove the cam cover to remove the tach generator. If you do remove the generator, check to see if the armature has not slid back and disengaged with the drive dog. There was further discussion on this topic just recently on this forum.

1 Like

Peder, you don’t need to remove anything to determine the problem. Unplug the wires from the tach-gen and with the engine running measure the AC voltage between the terminals, which should be 10 Volts per 1000 RPM. I’m betting that’s where your problem is. If not, attach 12V from the battery across the wires, which should result in a reading of 2500 RPM’s on the meter.

1 Like

Randall,
Now that the busy summer and fall are over I finally found time to rebuild my MK 7 rear axle, replaced the cup and side washers in the differential, as well as all of the bearings, except for those on the pinion. I blasted and painted the brake backing plates and will get it all back on the car in the next week or two and get it back driving. The carrier bearings were pretty well worn, with break down on the races as well as the roller bearings. I’ll report back when back driving the car.

Best regards,
Tom Brady

1 Like

You clould send some pics of your work.

Hi Randall,
Here are a few:

![72341315594__0C72ED4D-2D62-4AB9-90EB-F5AC4296035A|375x500]

Best regards,
Tom Brady

2 Likes

The topic is Mark 7-9 pics. OK

I bought this well-preserved Mark 9 three years ago.
I changed the leaking BW250 to a 4L60E for 70 MPH at 2,200 RPM
I added Retro Air so I can drive it all year. Elect pusher fan in front of alum. radiator for extra cooling.
Dynamator alternator for more power, negative ground, clocks rebuilt.
Retro Sound radio with 4 speakers and trunk subwoofer for hands free calls, Bluetooth, good sound.
New BAS front seat leather, Leatherique restored rear seating.
Dual Air/Fuel ratio sensors and Innovate guage for precise carb tuning.
Little by little she is turning from a well-kept antique to a very drivable classic cruiser.
For the future she will be black and silver. I will replace all window and door rubber and clean the headliner. Wood is good. I have refinished some peices, but there are hairline cracking in the unrestored pieces. They are fun to strip and refinish, as the veneer is is such good shape.
There are P/S and engine leaks. Some suspension bushings need replacement.
My longest trip thus far is 500 miles, although I feel confident to take her on multi-day trips.
Every time I take her out, I get thumbs up.
It has been a good relationship thus far, and I do not mind the time I spend with her or regret what I spend on her. She is worth it.

6 Likes

Nice car. I know there’s photographic distortion but the size of the Mk IX is enormous next to the Voyager!

Here are some more pics of my Mk VII

2 Likes

Hi Dana, I can’t complain about your modifications because I’m contemplating similar changes, but I’ll wait until I’ve driven mine for a while before I make any. I have to say I think the black-silver combination is particularly striking, which is why I had to have this one even though I wasn’t actually looking for a Big Mark.

1 Like

Randall, the paint is super slick. I also love the wheel/cover treatment. What a nice wedding car!
Mike, after looking at all the paint combos, my vote is black/silver. There is something special about authentic stock restoration. It is a slice of time on display. That is why I can’t bring myself to sell off the original tranny, radiator, generator, or radio. Very little cannot be reverted to back to original if a purist is the next owner.
Mine came with a poor repaint, cracked head, leaky and sluggish tranny, would easily overheat, and the non-working radio was of a different bandwidth.
My goal is to keep all the glory of the original wood and leather craftsmanship and classic design while bringing some components up to today’s standards. There is joy in feeling that smooth XK 3.8 always seamlessly moving into the proper torque range in conjunction with the 4 speed OD tranny, effortlessly cruising in beautiful wood and leather, sitting tall in one of the finest luxury saloons of its day, in air conditioned comfort, listening to clear, full tunes, supplemented by turn-by-turn directions through the Bluetooth Google Maps app, even answering incoming calls hands-free. Smelling 60 year old leather, smiling. Oh, the undescribable bliss, encompassing all the senses that only old car guys can truely appreciate.

2 Likes

Thanks Dana, I did the paint 46 years ago, home sprayed cellulose, still looks good today (with a bit of patina!).

Hi Randall,
Rear axle is going back in the MK 7 this week and will be driving it again, will keep you all posted on results. Not many of these seen on the road these days.

Best regards,
Tom Brady

1 Like

Hi Thom, will be great to see one on the road again.

Regards
Randall.

Hi Tom, apologies for the spelling.

The rev counter came back to life, a couple of weeks later, without me having done anything. Strange, but a very pleasant surprise😅

1 Like