MKX Front Brake Upgrade

why does it ruin steering?

Is the problem with using XJ uprights etc that the steering arms are meant for rack and pinion? If one were to make some custom steering arms would that correct the steering? Otherwise do the uprights bolt to the 420G ball joints?

everything bolts together with deceptive ease

however, what has taken place is the the spatial position of the tie rod end/ steering arm joint is displaced in the vertical and horizontal plane by 1/2" to 3/4"

What this does is add both an unacceptable addition to turning circle, but also upsets the Ackerman angle to such an extent the vehicles is virtually undriveable

(This can be shown by simply altering the castor shims by as little as 1/4" it has a noticeable affect on steering)

I assure you 100% that 4.2 MKX and 420G have excellent brakes, and do not require an “upgrade”

While it would be nice to have rack & pinion steering, apart from anything else, it just wont fit in there at all, without totally unsatisfactory engineering compromises

I have only heard of one success, and that involved grafting in an entire XJ IFS

That guy really knew his stuff, he tried the 1st way, even though I told him all this

Then he did it the other way, I do not know exactly how he did it

Upgrade required is relative. Say, yo HP . My 420G has no engine and will not be getting a 4.2 XK. (GM LS). Also if all that is required is a custom set of steering arms, which happens all the time in the off road world, then I think it’s worth the effort. Especially since it’s getting harder to find stock parts for these models. I can go to any local parts store and get XJ brake parts. So again, the assemblies bolt on and a set of bespoke steering arms put’s the rod ends where they need to be. right?

also i’m just talking about brakes. I would retain the later 420g box and not do rack n pinion

the XJ upright spindle and stub axle bolts right in.

I think you are correct that bespoke steering arms should work in theory

cant see why they wouldnt…the XJ & 420G part look almost the same

a word of advice, dont throw away the old stuff.

If you do, sell it to a 3.8 guy, its an upgrade for them

Thanks for confirmation. I would definitely offer up the stock parts to someone who needed them. do you know the model of Land Rover that uses the similar Marles Varimatic box for the seals and rebuilding? I know they are great and I’m lucky to have one but I winder if a bracket could be designed to mount a more common (at least in the US) Saginaw box. Especially for those with a Burman box.

All of them as far as I know, (have the same external seal set)…and probably Internal

The problem is the 420G in particular is a mongrel dog of a thing the way the steering box is mounted

I sincerely doubt you could mount a LR box in a a manner that would pass an engineering inspection

I have only looked at one though, the body has a mount hole in the incorrect plane

I had the same idea as you

The Burman I have no idea

The Saginaw is the steering pump (on the later cars)

I posted these while back, rebuild LR box, exact same procedure as Jag box

Steering boxes for our cars are very scarce in unworn condition

Adwest steering rebuild youtubes MKX-420G-420-Daimler - Saloons - Jag-lovers Forums (jag-lovers.com)

I wasn’t suggesting using a LR Box. Just a seal kit

The Part number of the Landrover external lower seal kit is STC2848

That seals the Pitman Arm shaft at the bottom of the Jag box

The Jaguar Internal & External seal kits are available from various vendors, including David Manners

Talking of calipers , what jag is 130mm about c/c mounting bolts ?