Modern Ford V12 steering rack conversion

I purchased one of those Ford (Ford part no. rf-f3rc-3550-da) power steering rack conversion kits from SNGBarratt (SNG part no. C39265KIT/1 the /1 is important) for $1700 and its a terrible fit in the car. Really disappointed. I’m going to return it. The brackets were about 8mm off the mounting holes and would need to be remade. Also with the rack centralised and the tie rod ends threaded in all the way, I had toe-out on both sides!

My original rack doesn’t appear to have any major mechanical problems but it leaks badly. It leaks from the high pressure fitting on the passenger side the most. I believe the flare seats (olives) are damaged. The previous owner had over tightened the hell out of those flare nuts.

I’m not really comfortable disconnecting the pump. I think the V12 E-type is just a bit too heavy for a manual rack to make it tricky to park without power assist. Maybe I just need to eat more spinach :slight_smile:

I liked the idea of having a modern rack, rigid mounted to the frame but this kit sucks. For the money, I would expect it to just work out of the box. If I wanted a DIY job, I could have got my own ford rack from a junk yard and made it fit.

Anyone else buy one of these kits? Did I just get a bad apple?

Take a look at EZ power steering, it is electric and mounts completely under the dash. I installed it in my 67 OTS so I could park with 205 70 tires.

Check with Stew Jones (http://www.jaguarv12etype.com/). I know that he has sold/installed several conversions. Let me know what you end up doing because I would like to make similiar mod to my 74’ etype.
JS

Quick update. The manufacturer (CMC = Classic Motor Cars UK?) has admitted fault. But is being vague on the details. Really not happy with the communication and the sloppiness of the kit in general so I’ve decided to return it and have my original rebuilt.

I tried contacting Stew Jones restorations several times but could never get through to them.

I bought the rack and pump rebuild kits from SNG about seven years ago. If you have the tools and that includes a big vise, it is not that difficult. Obviously took the opportunity to freshen up the exterior as well and dont think I have any leaks. In addition, I lowered the pressure to reduce assistance as well as fitted a 13” motolita steering wheel.
I’ll be happy to share whatever photos and experience I have, as long as I can remember what I did.
Cheers … Ole

This is turning into a very long and tiring ordeal. I just received my core exchanged rebuilt rack from SNG and the splines on the pinion are damaged.

By the symmetrical nature of the damage, I’d say someone has grabbed it with a set of pliers and crushed the splines on both sides. Making it impossible to fit the steering column coupler without damaging the coupler too.

Hindsight is 20/20. Should have just rebuilt my rack myself.

In hindsight - YES ! Whoever “rebuilt” that rack should look for another job !

Yes the pic shows the damage done by a tool grasping onto the splines!! Is all really lost…A file of the exact fit might redeem the damage…maybe !

Just kibitzing.

1. That steel is far too tough for mere pliers to mangle. Some thing else involved.

2. It may have been mangled in situ by a sloppy fit of the coupler. Hydraulic power is awesome.

3. A decent rebuild shop should have done something about it.

4. Agree, a really tough fie can clean the splines
    similar to a thread file. Actually, one of those might be the right tool…

Carl

Big thanks to John and Carl. I didn’t even know what a thread file was until you mentioned it. I quickly ordered a set from Amazon and I managed to fix the splines sufficiently for the coupler to slide on/off easily.

Its not the prettiest thing but it works. I used the 20 TPI (thread pitch) side of the file.

Nevertheless, I’m a little hesitant about fitting the rack. I can see over-spray from the black paint job on the flare seats for the lines going to the pump. Given how the splines were damaged, what else is lurking?

Worst case, I lose another day in labour fitting this thing if it turns out to be a leaky POS.

I will ask SNG to reimburse me for the cost of the files ($56). Its the least they can do and its a lot cheaper for them than to pay shipping both ways for another rack (2x $100).

1 Like

Sir

How did you finish this affair? Was the rack eventually successful or did you return?

Do I read the thread correctly in that you were provided a replacement with the damaged splines, did this replacement also not have the “toe out” problem?

I am considering the same kit, I did approach Stew Jones as is discussed above and they confirmed this is the same rack they have used successfully. I discussed it here in UK with CSCltd, who build it and they seem to stand well behind it.

Cheers

I returned the Ford conversion rack and chose to go with an original rebuilt rack. The damaged splines are from the rebuilt original rack they sent me. There is a small leak from it also but I can’t tell exactly where its from. Unfortunately I haven’t had a chance to drive the car much since I fit the rack.

I do not recommend the Ford rack. Its a $200 rack and they want $1700 for it in the states. I would recommend just having the original rebuilt. It will fit perfectly and work for another 40 years.

Thanks for getting back to me Sir.

I was talking to the folks CMC in the UK here who make this conversion and trying to get to the bottom of it, what happened to you, and whether or not its actually any good.

The thing is of course the stock rack delivers woeful feedback and makes it like driving Santa’s sled, and this kit is reasonably affordable, SC’s in the UK is 2.5K!!!

So I have taken the plunge, as for some reason SNG has reduced the price of it to 1200 odd just last week. I will let y’all know!!!

Cheers