Moldy Seat Issue

Well, as part of the process of finally getting Sporty to run after four years of dormancy, my tech was digging through stuff in the back seat area when he found out what was causing her “new car smell” as he put it. Turns out there is some mold growing on the outside (?) of the rear seats. :open_mouth: Kinda hard to believe here in dry, hot Texas, but then the rear window and rear passenger door windows are tinted limo-dark, so maybe the lack of sun/UV rays has something to do with it.

Any suggestions as to a safe and permanent remedy to remove the mold w/o damaging the seat leather/vinyl?

Vacuum/wipe as much as you can off, then give the leather a wipe with spirit of vinegar. Check on a hidden area first - I’ve never seen vinegar remove dye on traditional leather, but it’s always better to check first.

The acid will kill off the spores inside the leather. Once they’re dry again use a hide food.

Attydallas,

My S-III was sitting unattended under a car-cover inside the shop for 4 years- when I finally got to where I could tend it, I had white mold growing on the seats. I used Lexol and it has taken care of it nicely.

Don’t spare the Lexol! You’ll be surprised how much of it soaks in and in a few minutes, your leather will be dry to the touch and ready for another dose.