More dash wiring probs. arrrrgh

So…
next up on the harness adventure.

Original has 4 dark green wires here, all going to one position on fuse block. New harness has 5 wires 3 dark and two light. There are only 4 positions on a single fuse so…? wth.

purple wires are 4 as in original

Find the other ends and work backwards to figure out what they are

Here is a picture of my dash on fuses

1 Like

Your getting into the grey zone from, 66 to 67 then 68
I just did mine last year , once they are on the fuse block prongs, the other side should be to dash lights, blinkers, something like that.

See my reply on your other post.

Again, use the ohmmeter to identify which green wire provides power for what.

what if all 5 of them are connected to something?

They will be you just need to clarify what….I take it you have a wiring diagram?

yes but, how would that help? Because the replacement harness has different colors than the original, and 5 wires instead of 4. Which means one of those is going to have to be not powered? Do I have that right?

At this point we need to ask, is this the right harness?

Since, others have said these SNG harnesses match the original, no problem.

The wiring diagram will show you where the other end of the 4 Green wires on Fuse #7 go, (as well as the 5 Green wires on Fuse #6), so by doing a continuity test between the 5 wires you have (3 Green and 2 Light Green) and the other similarly colored wires emerging from that same loom elsewhere, you may be able to deduce each wire’s purpose from where they emerge. It’s certainly strange that 2 of your wires are Light Green, as my recollection is that color is reserved for connections to the direction indicator warning lamps.

2 Lg signal lite indicator

1 G horn relay fuse 6
1 g washer. 6
1 g choke lite. 7
1 voltage regulator. 7
1 fuel lite. 7
1 stop lamp. 6
1 g wiper motor. 7
Some of the wires are spliced
Check be sure you have the correct harness
I think that’s it for green
Years ago when my eyes were good I ordered expanded wiring diagrams because the jag manual was unreadable
Should get you close see what’s left

Jim

Bill,

Wiring can be a daunting challenge so here’s my recommendation.

First, obtain (if you don’t already have one) the correct wiring diagram for your Series/year E-type. There are several sources if you don’t have the one that came with the car (in the vinyl pocket folder). That is one step you can’t escape.
Next, wire one circuit at a time using the wiring diagram. Confirm the circuit with a VOM meter. Once that circuit is verified then check it off.
Lastly, wires left unconnected try to identify what circuits have not been connected (if any) then go from there.

Are you re-using the OEM fuse holders are installing new?

Almost all present day replacement harnesses are made in the UK by AutoSparks. One of their recommendations is to keep your old harnesses as some connectors are no longer available and they have to substitute. If you have the harness part number, email them with your question(s). They have promptly replied to my inquiries.

Rewiring a car is a challenge but, if you take your time, verify each circuit as you connect things up you should be OK. It’s just going to take some time and effort.
Without a correct wiring diagram and VOM success is doubtful!

Keep the Forum posted on your progress with pictures – if possible.

Another footnote: The metal instrument panel should be copper plated, not painted!

Hope this helps a bit,

Happy Trails,

Dick

Checking the 5 wires:

A. Lt green FB to bundle of 6 wires bullets near wiper

B. Lt Green FB to instrument volt regulator

C. Dk Green Fb choke light

D. Dk Green FB to flasher socket

E. Dk Green to first toggle L. H. Side of centre panel

The colors don’t match at the tachometer end either, but at least the total # of wires is the same there

only one FB is replaced with SNG replacement and it is not the one in question. The FB’s on the right are all original to the car.

picks of old and new side by side, where they do not match is in the other post same topic

Yes. have several diagrams including one blown up to 3ft x 3ft, and Disselkorns and one or two other for smaller sections. Diagrams are limited useful if the call outs of colors do not match the ones not the harness.

If anyone has a good one for the wiper and washer end I would love to have it.

Hi Bill
I wish I lived nearby …… I’d come around and sort it out with you …… is this a Sng barrats or auto sparks loom? ….if not what brand , because the auto sparks loom is usually perfect …… I. Wondering if you have the correct loo to the car …… yours should be a standard 66 …… same as I have just installed in the cream car …… if by chance you have a 1.5 series loom it will be different ( minor) that may lead to confusion …… maybe if you put in your location someone nearby will help you out …. It is really difficult to do in cyber space
Good luck

Think your missing a part it’s a voltage regulator I believe

Cheers jim

VR is front left in my pic isn’t it ? (pre disassembly)

click on avatar, location is listed.

thanks, Dan.]
It is SNG which I thought was made by auto sparks .
Do you have 4 green wires, or 5? And which loom did you get Autosparks or SNG?

That’s it they call it A instrument voltage stabilizer seems to me it drops the voltage for the instruments to 10 volts

Jim

I bought 1 through auto sparks and 1 through barrats …. Which I believe is supplied by autosparks ….certainly the packaging was identical with various bits of paper the same etc