Mounting of the REAR brake calipers on a XJ6 1978

Does anybody have any pictures of the mounting of the REAR
calipers to the differential .
Catalogs only show them floating in thin air.
Thanks, Walter

Sorry Walt,

no pictures, but the position is not so hard to imagine once the rotors are mounted. The calipers are fixed by two bolts that are secured with lockwire. Are you working on a “free” diff or is everything in the cage and under the car?

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Hello Jochen!

I have the car on stands, and have to replace the calipers.

I think I have replaced the pads only once in all the years, its been

a while since I looked at the rear end of things.

Thanks,

Walter

Just so you know the job is terrible.

Cut the safety wires between caliper and differential and remove the handbrake parts towards the rear of the unit, remove two lockwired bolts as well as one brake line each, remove calipers. You might find that the one bolt on the right caliper can’t come out so you will have to remove the four brake disc bolts and let the hub drop down so you can get the caliper out.

Lockwiring is possible when you leave the wire long enough.

I’m sure you don’t need the warning but the jag is a very heavy car and you will be exerting a lot of force on the bolts.
Please put something like some wheels under the jag in case it falls off the stands.

I’ll throw one of my pictures in the ring also. 1985 S3

Dave

2 Likes

Sorry Walt,

as I know you and me aren’t 25 any more I’d suggest either to farm out the job or to seek for better facilities. I did the handbrakes two years ago and on a lift. Even so it took like hours and was tedious as can be. Pulling the handbrake calipers (which indeed wasn’t that much of a deal) is only the first step in pulling the brake calipers procedure - and everything has to get back in and work!

Even with the car on safe stands and double-secured I wouldn’t do that on my back lying underneath. Maybe you’re a braver man than me and there’s got to be something separating the men from the boys, but I’m happily confessing to chick out on this one.

Once you have the car on a lift it is as serious job and you may well ponder whether to separate the exhaust and drop the cage and recondition the entire IRS “once you’re at it” or to try a repair in situ. Without a lift it is good for a war story better than Max’!

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

I did it twice now, once on a lift and once under the car by removing the IRS as above. I would never go under the IRS unless it is supported and I would never try removing anything with the IRS in the car. Simple enough to remove. The worst parts are the calipers themselves and the exhaust as well as the radius arms sometimes, but not necessarily.

1 Like

Jochen , I have it on stands and started taking it apart little by little.

The calipers are bad, I will try to get the calipers out. I might go at it, little by little.

Which me luck.

Walter

That is one gorgeous rear end!

I started out on this job with the IRS in situ. It was quite difficult and halfway through I sought the advice of this forum and it was vigorously recommended to remove the unit.

I took the advice and was surprised by how much easier, safer, cleaner and faster it was. Plus I did a much better job. I would take the IRS out twice rather than attempt it from underneath.

Suit yourself but please be careful.

I decided to leave as is.

Thanks, Walter

I and a mobile mechanic passed on doing the job on stands !

He recomended a shop. I accepted. Sure am glad I did,. Done on a lift. mechanic had to cut one bolt…

Thanks Greg, this is my last car build and I wanted it look nice as well as run well.

Dave