Mounting power steering and alternator on side of engine

Hi, has/does anyone have both the power steering pump and alternator mounted on the left hand side if the engine?

I removed the air con from my S2 2+2 and wanted to shift the alternator from the front to the side of the engine. But with the standard brackets it looks like a no go (clearance between the steering rack, alternator and indeed the frame). See photo below

Before I give up and revert to the standard setup, it would be good to know if modifications are possible.

Just out of curiosity, why?

Did you want to drive both with a single belt?

Would you consider another, much smaller form factor alternator?

Mainly the AC was bust and the mount at the front of the engine is not very aesthetic.

I definitely would consider a smaller alternator if there are suggestions - the new bracket seems to be the blocker, but if smaller alternator with a different mounting arrangement, that could work.

Rich

Be aware that belts require a minimum wrap on a pulley to drive it. You can find recommendations for belt wrap online

I’ll admit I do not know - does the alternator still work well when it is rotating the opposite way?

I expect the fan has to be changed because of opposite rotation.

The fan in your photo is a clockwise fan, it was wrong for the reversed alternator anyway.

Good spot @Ahwahnee - i changed the fan after reading @Michael_Frank ‘s guides on switching the alternator round. I still have the old fan so can switch back if needed.

I think i can have another fettle around and see if i can get the clearance i need for the PS pump.

Some progress here so thought i should update the thread as this seems like an unusual mod.

Anyway i figured i could create a similar mounting arrangement to the original for the PS pump. I drilled a hole in the alternator mount with just enough clearance to the block to get a 5/16 bolt through. This allows me to secure the top of the PS pump mount with the bottom on the elongated bolt. Pics below…

Not finished yet i need to put a sleeve round the bolt to secure the mount properly. Also its still very tight between the belts for the alternator and PS pump - if its too tight i think can adjust the alternator position to run the PS Pump and alternator off the same belt.

Wish me luck!