My E-type dies after 15 minutes

Those old brass-can Mallorys seemed to last forever!

My 'rents Auburn Speedster had one they’d installed in the early 50s, and it was working like a champ when they sold it in '86!

Any good 0.22-0.24 microFarad capacitors will work.

2 Likes

Condensers can be tested there’s various YouTube’s on the subject

Cheers

1 Like

I have had this exact problem with 3 different causes.

1. Condenser. with this rd suddenly stopped after 10 minutes
  2. Rusty fuel line. With this, then engine got weaker and weaker, popped a bit then stopped as not enough fuel could get through. The fuel line was 50 years old and full of crud.
  3. Coil failure. With this it ran for 10 minutes, popes then stopped, then started running again. In both cases the were new Lucas gold sports coils. They had both failed.
1 Like

My Daimler V8-250 died on me and after I wiggled the wire where it connected to the condenser it started again. But then it failed again after a few miles.

So I bought a new one from one of the main suppliers (SNG Barratt or David Manners, I can’t remember which) and it failed after less than 200 miles. Fortunately I still had my ‘faulty’ one in the boot (trunk) and that brought it all back to life.

I got a new one from the Distributor Doctor and what a difference! Like a new engine! So smooth and so much more power. Will never buy any ignition parts from anyone else ever again :grin:

p.s. I’ve read about a lot of the new ‘Lucas’ coils failing.

1 Like

Here’s a pretty good video on condenser testing:

Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL (:-Annie:-)

1 Like

IMO, I would consider the above condenser test to be very marginal. If the condenser fails the test, yes, one could consider it faulty. But if a condenser passes the test, I would not necessarily trust it. First, as in the case of the OP, if the condenser was the problem, it took 15 minutes of use to fail. This, or most any test, will have trouble testing an intermittent condenser. Second, this test is testing the condenser by charging it with the VOM’s battery, probably 9 volts at best. So, it is indicating that the condenser is not failing with a charge up to 9 volts. But when the system is in use, the voltage is higher. The condenser absorbs the collapse of the coils primary field, which can be over 100 volts. So if the tested condenser breaks down at 50 volts- normal usage- how would this test determine it? It would not.
This test can determine if a condenser is faulty, but not if a condenser is good.
Tom

1 Like

I know for a fact that a vehicle will not run at all if the capacitor is short circuit

I believe it will run, albeit poorly, for a while without one (or its open circuit)

To the best of my knowledge, a capacitor does not have the properties of self-healing

There is much good advice in this thread to test though

Spark at the plug wires and coil is the first thing I would be testing if broken down roadside, you dont even need tools or an assistant to do it

1 Like

Self heal, no, but they can be very intermittent.
Tom

1 Like

We found corrosion between the connections on the 12 volt distribution bolt under the fan box. Bolt was lose and a bump would end 12 volt power.

1 Like

A couple of basic questions:

First, during a “No Start” episode have you checked to see if there is Spark to the spark plugs? If not then you are right to suspect a wiring connection or the coil itself.

Second, How old are your rubber fuel hoses? Are they “Marine” quality to fight the effects of Ethanol-laced fuels found today?

If you have spark then, most likely, you have a fuel deliver issue.
If your fuel hoses are not higher quality, Ethanol resistant the there is a distinct possibility a fuel hose may be collapsing internally. Very difficult to diagnosis! Had this happen to my John Deere lawn tractor. Shut mower down and when a restart was tried it would not start. Let it sit for an hour or so and… BINGO… she would start right up. Found a bad hose between the fuel tank and the engine. Replaced hose… all’s well afterwards.

Just a thought.

Happy Trails,

Dick

1 Like

@awg please tell me how one can test for spark by him/herself with no tools, esp in bright sunshine.
Again, the failure to start with ether makes a fuel etiology highly, highly unlikely. Here’s my current question: tho’ not elegant, nor surgically precise, would you replace both the condenser and the coil simultaneous? Might save a tow and my AAA memberhsip! s

Perhaps you missed @D_Barnes offer to help in person further back in the thread?

David and I have connected, however thanx for the reminder. s.

I have a method, it hurts very much.

The other is to disconnect a lead, jam a screwdriver in the cap and place the shaft of the screwdriver close to the engine. If there’s a spark you will see it in the brightest sunshine and you can likely also hear it over the starter.
Or pay the $3 for the tester which does about the same.

You have the coil so try it, 15 min is not a lot of driving and you can surely wait and if you can’t diagnose it, let it cool down?
If you replace both you reduce the risk of having to wait or diagnose.

2 Likes

Rule out a load of stuff in one go and replace the distributor with a 123 unit. From everything I,ve read so far I would estimate a 90% chance of fixing it…

1 Like

I’ve been watching this thread, here’s my input.
Fuel pump! Mine would quit at regular intervals, this is before I cleaned and adjusted the points. If I turned on and off the ignition switch quickly a number of times it would start clicking again and a few seconds later you had power. This was 40 years ago, I was carpooling with another student. You’d be going 60 miles an hour and the car would start to die… I’d reach over and be flicking the ignition switch on and off while my foot was to the floor. When the fresh gas hit the carbs you got slammed into the seat. This happened about twice a day. For some funny reason she wouldn’t carpool with me anymore.

1 Like

I go with the condenser
Wanna race for titles . Whoever goes 75 miles without stopping WINS !!!

1 Like

@awg I rest my case, you can’t check for spark without tools (screwdriver or spark tester, here.). i guess you might be able to see a spark while simultaneous pushing the button yourself, but my old joints probably won’t go for those gymnastics.

@Mrferrari Issac Newton said i can do that…if go downhill all the way!

s

1 Like

If I recall correctly the OP tried starter fluid without success.

1 Like

That was my understanding, too.

1 Like