My left rear hub is clicking again... Your advice appreciated

A few years ago my rear left hub was clicking when changing from coasting to acceleration and when coasting and hitting the brakes. At that time I had new wire wheel hubs (the the wheel gos onto) and new Dayton wire wheels on all wheels.

So I removed the rear left hub, cleaned it and reassembled with loctite.

The fix lasted about 3 years and now it is clicking again.

I would be grateful for your suggestions. I understand there is a product that takes up slack if bearing outer races are loose in where they are assembled. Might this be a better product?

Or is it time to put in a new splined shaft?

Dennis
69 OTS

Just to be clear here, there are two sets of splines involved, both of which could be responsible for the clicking. One set is between the wheel center and the hub it mounts on. These splines are triangular with a flat top when unworn. As they wear, they become more triangular, and the wheel moves relative to the hub during acceleration/decceleration. The second set of splines, which I presume you are referring to, are the square profile splines between the hub and the stub axle that is connected to the half-shaft by a UJ. Before assuming that this second set of splines is responsible for the clicking again, have you checked the first set, and the UJs themselves which might also be responsible for the noise?

If it’s the splines between the hub and half-shaft, my advice is ignore it. Mine have ALWAYS done that, for >50K miles. If it’s’ the splines between the wheel and the hub, and the knock-off is tight, then you need a new hub and/or wheel.

It is not the u-joints. They are new. It is not the wire wheel hub clicking on the axel hub that it slides onto when you install the wire wheel
It is where the splined shaft comes out of the outer u-joint and goes into the hub.
Loctite did fix it, but only for three years…

Dennis

I’ve been fighting this issue for 40 years on my '68 and 4 on my coupe. At times it’s been bad enough that I’ve seen spectators turn to look at the car as I pull away. It’s from the internal splines. I finally used blue Locktite but after a couple of autocrosses it’s back. Don’t know what the solution is.

There are a number of anaerobic bearing retaining compounds out there. Do a search on “retaining compounds”. Be warned though that if you put it together with retaining compound, you will have to use lots of heat to get it apart and probably need to replace at least the seals because of the heat.

Thanks for clarifying, Dennis. This may be an area where the cure is worse than the disease. At one time, Jaguar used some extremely robust brown goo on these splines that prevented the clicking, but also effectively prevented removing the half-shaft from the hub (almost…). Once the goo is removed, I’ve found nothing else that can totally prevent the occasional click. Mine isn’t concerning enough to worry me, and I’ve become used to “clicking my (w)heels” as I set off… :smiley:

Careful there Dorothy :joy:

Could this Click also be heard as a slight Knock?

It is the same click I had before I loctited it the first time!

Thanks everyone
What no one has suggest is to replace the spline that comes off the half shaft. I guess that had been tried!

Denny

Yes. It sounds virtually identical to worn wheel splines.

I’ve got a set of splines that have seen little use that I intend to try. Who knows. It’s possible the hub repros are a bit looser than the originals as well.

Agreed: so long as the nut is tight, ignore it.

Tweety did it for decades.

I am sure it is the splines as it made the click noise before I put new wire wheels and hubs on the car.
I first thought it was the wire wheel splines but not…

Any Canadian forum members have a half shaft spline in good condition that I can buy??!!!

Denny

I might mention Dennis, for your hunt, that all the spline setups used by Jaguar on any XK engined car with the irs and with or without wire wheels are the same.

Thanks
The hunt starts!!

Dennis - brain fade here. I have an assembled set of 1/2 shafts and hubs out of a Ser III XJ12 that I’ve had for years. If you want them they are yours. You’ll have to come over and get them or arrange for shipping (which would be costly I’d expect as they are big heavy and ungainly).

Terry 250 370-2299.

Hi Terry
That is very generous of you !
Many thanks and I will come over!

Denny