Need a Brake Vacuum Booster or '87 XJ6

Any advice for purchasing a Brake Vacuum Booster for my Jag? Also where can I find how to read the VIN # on my Jag. It is: SAJAY1341HC468560.
Wondering where to purchase a reliable Booster? Some are re-manufactured they say.
If re-manufactured I am wondering what company is the most reliable? Are originals still available? Are they a single or dual booster?
Thanks Much/Lee

The part number is CAC1227 and was used on many Jags. Google the part number to see what’s out there.

I’ve had good luck with rebuilt boosters in general and very good luck with these two outfits in particular:

Contact either to see if they have a unit ready to ship. If not, they can rebuild yours

Cheers
DD

I have tried this scam before - it gives me the totally wrong information. I have a X350 XJ8 and it tells me the vin code is for a XJ6 series 3 fitted with a 4 litre engine, built in the UK but sold in the USA. There was no such animal.

Many VIN decoders are configured only for USA-style VINs. If yours is a UK or ROW car you’ll get a wrong decoding.

Cheers
DD

Good Info Doug. I have not yet used them. Is there no Jaguar literature that covers how to read the VIN numbers?
Lee

Lee,

your car should not be a big problem. Here’s what I found at first click - and it corresponds with what you’ve been telling us:

Maybe, it helps to tell people you have an 86 model, even though in the US it is an 87 car 
 must have to to with the different time zone;-)

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Are you stating that my Jag is really a '86 rather than an '87? Is the true with all Jag’s in the USA? I have another Jag that is registered as a '86 rather than a '87. So is it really a 1985?
Lee

It’s an '87 car, Lee.

No worries.

Model year designations vary by country
plus '87 was a transition year from the Series III cars like yours and the new XJ40 cars
both carrying an “XJ6” nameplate.

Some literature and some people do not acknowledge the existence of a 1987 Series III XJ6
believing that production ended in 1986. In fact, Series III XJ6 production continued right up until April 1987. For the USA market (perhaps Canada and Mexico as well?) Series III XJ6s built from August 1986 until April 1987 were officially designated “1987” model year cars. In other countries
who knows?

Cheers
DD

Further to that S111 V12 lasted a lot longer into the early 1990’s

Indeed, Doug; some countries use date of first registration as the ‘model year’
:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Indeed, Lee, many parts suppliers don’t care about the intricacies of regional markets and let SIii end in 1986. If you search for XJ6 and 1987 you might end up with XJ40 parts.

We had the very same discussion only very recently with a lister who couldn’t find parts for his very late SIII car.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Didn’t the Americans make a big deal out of having the ‚model years‘, made and designed and sold in one year but already called next years model to be that little bit better
 my 56 is a 57 model huh huh?

Probably not much that changed 86-7, it‘ll be a S3 either way and without ABS is probably the only difference.

So what is wrong with the booster and what’s a single or dual booster? Are we talking master cylinder?

Not talking master cylinder. It connects to the vaccum booster. I need to order a good replacement at a decent price.
Lee

More understandable than JDHT making the same mistake. Some of their literature shows Series III XJ6 production ending in October 1986. The irony is doubled since JDHT itself has the very last one built in April 1987 ! :slight_smile:

For decades, yes. The new model year cars were typically introduced in September. Everyone was always excited to see what was really new in the newest model! Lots of fanfare with each new model year.

Nowadays, not so much.

Heated oxygen sensor became standard, oxygen sensor light deleted, AJ8700 radio introduced, and new painting process. Those are the only changes I can think of.

Cheers
DD

1 Like