Need help identifying these parts, please

This is a shoulder bolt.
Two out of the four holes in the lower wishbone shaft and two out of the corresponding four holes in the chassis frame are precision bored for these.
As I recall they are .437" diameter.

2 Likes

Rob, these were among the many fasteners that I removed and dumped in a plastic bag about 30 years ago. Can I just measure the bores and the bolt shafts and pair things up?

john

Yes, there should be four, and they are the only shoulder bolts used anywhere on the car that I can recall. Label them C3653. There should also be four 3/8-24 NF x 1-1/4" hex heads and eight special self locking nuts C3968/3 or C8150/7.

I said one thing wrong, it’s the lower wishbone rear levers that are left and right, not the shafts, but they do have a front and rear.

1 Like

Thanks Rob. You are talking about the large cast pieces here, not the round extrusions, right? I engraved these before blasting.

A bit foggy this morning here, so by the time I brought things home there was some minor oxidation. Tomorrow is going to be warm and dry, so it’s paint time.

john

I see you posted the above 11 hours ago so I’m likely too late to recommend a phos acid etch before epoxy primer. The acid will remove the trace oxidation that will otherwise result in a poor bond.

Thanks Nick. What is that product called?

It’s sold by body shops as “metal prep” or “acid etch”. It’s a dilute solution of phosphoric acid. Also used to etch concrete.

The parts in the yellow oval have a front and rear. They should basically be parallel to the torsion bars, and it will be obvious if they are not.
The parts in the red rectangles are left and right.

The torsion bars are stamped NS (near side) and OS (off side).
Near is left and Off is right.
I remember it this way; when the chain falls off your bicycle it falls off on the off side.

1 Like

Thanks Nick. I got some today and finished painting about one half of the batch.

Rob, thanks for the diagram. I did engrave those four pieces. Although, the lower lever arms are not completely symmetrical. My torsion bars, one has OS stamped at the end and the other has C3168.

john

1 Like

By the way, it’s only right that I show the object of my misery, 670907. That’s me in 1990, Berkeley, CA. I wished I had a time machine; I could go back to that day and give myself a swift kick in the ass for buying it.

john

2 Likes

Familiar theme. Right down to the Chevy pickup. This is me in 1992, Sault Ste. Marie, ON, after having paid a guy to do the bodywork and get the shell into primer:

… followed by years regretting ever having crossed paths with the thing. The bodywork looked ok but nothing, as in absolutely nothing, would fit. All of it had to be redone and the car sat for years untouched. I resumed the project a few years ago and it’s nearing completion - only 30 years later :sunglasses:

4 Likes

But… just think of how much more rich in spirit and wise you are now because of that car.

:smirk:

2 Likes

I’m thinking more about all the bottles of spirit I consumed to dull the pain of owing it … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Never mind the car: I’m astonished at the guy with the dark hair:slight_smile:

There. Fify.

(Plus 20)

2 Likes

I wuz trying to be all polite and circumspectable…:slight_smile:

Once you’ve mastered faking sincerity you’ve got it made.

1 Like

Yer welcome…LOL!

1 Like

Being young and poor means your car of dreams goes home with you in boxes. The first couple of years I pieced together the motor and the gearbox.

john

2 Likes

About 1995, I blasted the body clean and applied primer. Then that’s as far as I got. Other cars came and went, while the 120 just sat in bits and collected dust.

john

PS. I have another question… what color should the seat frames and the seat adjustment levers be?