Need info on early xk8 models?

I’m interested in buying a 2000 xk8. I know they pre-2003 have issues with the timing chains (plastic parts in engine) I know this car recently had all those parts
replaced. Is it safe to buy?

Yes,
If the car is still driving today, more than likely those pitfalls have been replaced and updated. Don’t let everyone scare you off from early xk8’s

How long/miles do the timing chains last? Has anyone still had problems once fixed all the issues over long period of time? I read mechanics say to dump the car after 70000 miles… And look for 2003 and up. I so want my dream car but don’t want to be disappointed. Thanks again!

The tensioners on my 99 were replaced at 125k after catastrophic failure requiring rebuild. If they haven’t been done then make sure you find one that has been done. My car has 177k miles now, newer tranny.
Looks as if in history that it has been replaced once before as well. Which leads me to believe transmissions may be a concern to look for as well.
Also older ones in general require more maintenance and money to keep running.
Just replaced my alternator again a few days ago. Old one made it 32k miles(replaced 2 years ago). It is placed in a bad spot to begin with.
Just remember there will always be something.

I do know it recently had like $5000 done in repairs…the timing chain, water pump and so on. I’m also concerned about the hydraulics on the convertable top…Heard they’re known to fail in time. I really love the looks and style of the 2000-05 xk and hopefully score my new dream car.

After searching for some time, I found an excellent 2004 XK8 convertible. Have had the car since March. I am no expert, and don’t play one on TV, but encourage you to buy as late a model as you can with as complete a service record as possible. As the previous poster indicated that if it is being run regularly many of the trouble issues have been addressed. My '04 had 61k mi when I bought it. PO was a Dr. who had the 60k dealer service in Feb. of thisyear($3000) . He gave me his service records showing the past years service. Mine has had the thermostat, water pump and hoses replaced ( gonna happen sometime) , top hoses and latch(convertible green shower) replaced and a number of the “count on them issues) dealt with. Try to get two keys(replacements available only from dealer @$185.00).
Don’t buy an extra remote from the dealer. Buy one off eBay @$40.00 and you can program that yourself. The plastic expansion tank seems to go every 25-30k miles. Dealer wants $400. I bought a new one$65.00) and replaced it myself in 30 min. Since mine had 60+k mi I chose to replace the transmission fluid(It is a " lifetime” sealed unit. What Jaguar won’t tell you is the life is the life of the transmission whatever that might end up being. )That was done by an independent that works on XK8s. Cost was $200 plus the replacement pan, filter and fluidz(8 li@$9.00/li).
Take and OBDII gauge and read the codes, if any. You can get what the codes mean from one of the forums.
I am thrilled to own this modern classic. I am not a mechanic and sometimes get a bit paranoid after reading the troubles on the various forums. Don’t be scared away from buying your dream car. Just inspect them with a clear head. There a lot of goods ones out there if you are patient.
BTW, if you get one get JagWrangler.com’s RealGauge unit. Installation is straight forward. The temp gauge on the 8 is useless. Jag programmed it to stop at 185f. The only time it changes no matter the temp is at about 245f and a little dollar flag comes up to say you just lost your engine. The RG intercepts the signal to the dash gauge and converts it to real temperatures. Runs about$135.00.
Owning an 8 may be like being married. Maintainence is the key but boy is it worth it if you find the right one(married 49 years now to the same bride).
Advice is cheap so measure it at its cost but go for an 2004-2006 with as low a mileage as you can that is being used regularly.
Best floor.

PS- Meant " Best of luck"