Need XK8 duplicate key advice in SF Bay Area

My 1999 XK8 which I bought a few weeks ago came with a single key and a valet key. I’m nervous about having just a single key and would like to get a duplicate made.

I know I can use a Dremel to convert the valet key to a spare, but would prefer to avoid doing this. I also know these keys have a smart chip in them which needs to be programmed in addition to getting the key cut. I’m a DIY type guy and blanks with the smart chip look to be had on eBay for not too much, but I have no way to program the smart chip.

I live on the Peninsula in the SF Bay Area. Any advice on the most cost-effective way to get a duplicate key made? Are there automotive locksmiths who can do this? Or, is this something that only a dealer can help me with (assuming they still care about XK8 owners)?

Hey Mike,
I had the same problem. I’m not a complete DIY guy, so I had my duplicate made at my Jaguar dealer
and programmed by them. Now here’s the rub, Check with your local dealers, (or all dealers) in your
extended area to see if they are even willing to accommodate you or help you in any way. My dealers
in the Puget Sound of Seattle and beyond won’t even service my 2001 XK8 starting last year. They
begrudgingly did a oil change. They have serviced the car for years,and, because it has been a top in
class auto in our Jaguar shows locally and in Victoria and Vancouver, BC since 2015. They it would be
prudent as they sponsor some local shows. They now only work on jags ten years or newer.
Bob Allen

1 Like

Hi Bob, thanks for the advice. I’ll try the service departments for the Jag dealers in San Jose and San Francisco and see if they can help me. I suspect the cost of finding technicians and maintaining their training on older vehicles is the problem dealers are running into.

I came across the following locksmith and’ll see if they can help. Hopefully, the 1999 model isn’t too old for them to deal with.

It’s probably worthwhile for me to get two additional keys if the incremental cost isn’t too much just so I have additional spares on hand.

Mike

I ordered a tibble key for my xjs as it only had one from a guy on the other jaguar forum. Not sure of a programming procedure, but I’m sure theres one out there.

You can get replacement Tibbe keys here :
Jaguar Replacement Car Keys
The website also shows you how to read your Tibbe key and get the code to cut a new one, did it for my 91 XJS (deceased) worked great, not cheap though.

Last year and the year before got Tibbe keys made for $35 and some postage from two different companies (1997 XK8 worked fine and still does.) The 2003 XKR had different results. It worked fine; then an external oil line blew; and it sat; and the new key seems to be rejected by the immobilizer; but the OEM key seems to work.
One needs to photograph the key from all angles and make the light and shadow contrast very evident to get a good key made.