New (2021) Radios for Mk2

Does anyone have experience fitting new 21st. century radios to a Mk2 please ? Radios such as the Becker Mexico, or Jaguar Landrover’s own “Jaguar Classic Infotainment System in chrome finish which is designed to fit DIN-1 models.”

I have a 1961 Coombs Mk2 with the old positive earth “wireless” and cannot imagine doing anything that would offend the late great J.C. The magnificent car is now negative earth and the radio is, of course, disconnected. I’m interested to know if any cutting is needed or off-the-shelf bracketry is available. Can’t get access to the car right now, so cannot measure the original aperture, and I’ve found nothing by searching.

There are lots on the market , that will bolt straight in !
Retrosound Laguna Classic Car Sapphire Spindle Radio with Aux In RC900 VW Style | eBay

Many thanks Ian, looks like a useful portal to many possibilities.
Regards.

1 Like

My solution, with far better siund quality, it to leave the period radio in place, and use my Ihone with direct radio channels playing what I want to listen to. Just put it on the pass seat or tge transm tunnel.
Works really well. Or upside down in my shirr or jacket breast pocket

1 Like

There are radio repair people who will put modern guts including bluetooth and ports in vintage radios.

Thanks all, it really comes down to heart vs wallet (pocket book) of course. The debate continues…

Do what Jaguar did in the MK IX without a radio. Install a very nice wooden cubby box.
Alternatively, I recommend just buying a nice Bluetooth speaker box system and mounting it
on the rear shelf. Most of them are rechargeable but you could hardwire the power source if you choose to. It also has the added benefit of utilizing to talk on the phone. Win Win.

Or buy an amplifier with Bluetooth (cheap) (and with a microphone as well so you can take calls otherwise it’s impossible while the phone is connected! Even I struggle with that) and wire it to the speakers behind the radio. Not sure if you should disconnect the radio, better to be on the safe side. And then wire it to the ignition.

Benefits: it looks and feels original. Calls are always coming in through the speakers. The radio can stay in place. Converting is simple. No Bluetooth speaker rolling around in the footwell and asking for constant attention (charge me, place me, etc.) and no forgetting to turn it of or having to set something up.

i have had trouble finding an old looking radio that gets all the up to date channels. as a temporary option i bought a retro radio from china. hmmmm you say. it is bluetooth so you can answer your phone through it, usb sds card and jack point to plug in all your accessories and remote control all for the price of under £15 brand new

on fleabay. works perfect and will do untill i find a suitable replacement.

My 61 mk2 has the original radio which was made with a small plug on the side to suit polarity of the car (pos earth). I found the details on line …removed the plug …prized off the cap…re configured the connections within to suit neg earth.