New Battery recommendation

Hello everyone,

I need to replace the battery in my 1967 series 1 e-type OTS, I’m not worried about an exact replica of the original , I drive the car now and then and I’d rather have a modern reliable battery , I was thinking about the optima brand, I’m wondering what other folks are using when replacing the battery and if I need to be mindful about any technical specs when choosing a replacement battery.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark,
There are lots of opinions about batteries, and lots of posts about them in the Jag-Lovers archives. Here is one thread that I contributed to last year when I purchased a new Interstate battery for my 1969 E-Type FHC:

Paul

Perfect thanks , I originally did a search before posting and couldn’t find anything but I must have done it incorrectly. Now I’ve found a lot after additional searching. The interesting thing is people seem to be recommending a number of different size/ group numbers.

I just did this research and decided to go with the Optima. I was particularly concerned about the fit with the stock battery hold down as most modern systems run across the battery instead of lengthwise or with a surrounding frame. The published dimensions of the Group 35 Optima were slightly wide, but I found the frame to be a tight but easy fit and the base fit snugly into the tray. I did cut out two small areas on the frame next to the battery posts to make sure they did not come in contact and added electrical tape there. You do not want that frame to short the two posts. I was a little worried about the look of the Optima in a classic car, but it is buried and looks fine. And yes, I know the Phillips head screw in the post isn’t correct, but once you opt for an Optima, how obsessive do you need to be?

Mark,
The one thing that is consistent about Jag-Lovers is that you will receive a wide number of opinions on pretty much anything that you ask about here. :rofl:

Paul

I use a Group 35-N from Walmart. I fabricated my own battery hold down.

The battery has an unusual top. There is a flange on the case about 1/2" from the top.

1 Like

Strip the labels and slap on a Lucas sticker, available from all the majors. Perfect.

1 Like

…and a goodly number will be correct!

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Great minds…

2 Likes

I just got mine at Walmart. $69.95 with a one year warranty no prorating fits perfect. If it is anything like their cheap lawn mower batteries it should last 5 years. Even if it only lasted one it would be worth it.

what size was that? I just passed by those bats this week and I didn’t see anything under $120.

It’s a 26R

Optima with machined aluminum bottom tie-down. See the links below

Latest recommendation for battery choice - E-Type - Jag-lovers Forums

Amazon.com: Billet Optima Battery Hold Down Tray Bracket : Automotive

2 years ago I bought the same brand and line of battery from Walmart (except it was a Group 26 instead of a 26R because I like the terminals in the back.) I paid $119 USD.

If this was recent, and battery prices haven’t collapsed, I’d do some battery arbitrage and resell them!

I like the cheaper, lower capacity battery lines because the E-type is not at all demanding on batteries unless they have a starting problem. A lower capacity battery in the same size case can potentially have a longer life span if they use thicker plates, which reduce capacity but increase longevity.

Of course these days they probably have figured out how to use fewer thin plates to save on material costs…

Dave

This is what I don’t like about the top frame style battery hold down. If that terminal comes in contact with the frame there could be a direct short to the unibody or directly to the negative post. I would move the terminal away from the frame, or your battery could be toast. As a callow youth, I once had a climbing axe shift in the trunk of an Austin-Healey providing a direct path across the battery terminals. Neither the battery, nor the axe survived.

Time to start reselling. I was wrong about the price it was only $69.74!

Mark,
See what I mean about the variety of opinions here, this time on batteries. So far in this thread there were recommendations for Optima batteries, and also a variety of Groups like 25, 26, 26R, 35, 35N, 58 and 86. Thank goodness you didn’t ask anything controversial like the best tires, or what is the best kind of oil to use. :rofl:

Paul

That’s a heck of a battery deal, maybe it’s a sign of the inflation era easing. I can only hope so. Maybe Walmart really is rolling back prices. :slightly_smiling_face:

Since as far as I know, there isn’t a perfect modern match to the original battery, there’s bound to be a variety of sizes that work. It’s just picking the one you like best or in my case, fits well and is cheap…

Dave

Hey Paul,

You’re right :joy: but I’m enjoying reading all the replies and learning a few things along the way , thanks to all!

Mark

2 Likes

I used an Optima battery and machined a plate to hold the battery
Mike

1 Like