New loom Fitment photos

Hi anybody got some good photos of the connections in a new loom for a S1 4.2 FHC E-Type please

Aidan,

Would you mind editing your post to remove your email address? Here is an guide how to do that:

Here is an explanation of why this is important:

Adian,
I have several photos, which section of the loom(s) are you confused about? Maybe we can talk sometime? Send me a PM to pick a day and time.

jcarey1 [1] john carey [1]

Hi John any pics in the area of the four pics attached would be great
for now I think I am trying to build a little confidence I suspect I am
more A mechanic than a electrician, Thanks for your help

Regards Aidan Crabtree

Adian, I sent some photos to you by email and I reviewed my wiring videos too, but alas I failed to capture these two areas very well. The trick is to connect the same colored wires using new bullet connector junctions that are sold by many British car parts houses.

Hi John thank you for your help.
Regards Aidan Crabtree

Aidan,

Here are two ugly pictures that may be able to give you some additional insight.:slight_smile:

Thank you every thing is a help.
Regards Aidan

Hi the problem to me is that of some of the colours that match up,
some are cloth covered and some plastic will that matter?
Aidan

Aidan;
The colors matter not the covering.
Some of the wires are cloth covered and some are plastic covered. By and large you want to match R to R and U to U along with the tracer color also.

Joel.

Adian,
Another odd thing I learned is where the turn signal harness connects to the dash harness beside the steering wheel doesn’t connect color to color. For whatever reason 3 wire colors in the turn signal switch do not match the colors from the harness they need to be connected to. They are:
Dash Harness / Switch Harness
Purple / Brown
Black & White / Light Green & Yellow
Black & Red / Light Green and Blue
All of the others from the switch connect to their colored mates.

Hi Aiden,
Do you have a wiring diagram for your car? Also GOOGLE jcna.com Then search, down load and print Lucas Wiring Codes. This will give you a list of colour coded wires, where they come from and where they go to. This list is basically a list of all possibilities for most old Jags. If yours is not an auto, skip that section, if yours do not have electric windows, skip that section, etc.
You will soon realise there is a system, a pattern which actually makes sence. Eg. White wires have to do with Ignition, greens are fused accessories via ignition, light green is instruments, purple are fused accessories direct from the battery. Earth connections are black, and the coloured tracers have a spesific meaning. Once you get your head around this, it will become easier to undestand the designers thinking.
Once you have and understand this, your job will become a piece of cake and you will be able to ID every wire in the loom.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

FWIW the colors didn’t match on my car either '67ots 1/67 build. Attaching two photos the switch and flasher even tho not totally helpful both clearly show that the colors don’t match.
pauls

I am in the process of completing the rewiring of a '65 OTS which I did not disassemble. Have gotten thru most of it and watched your videos. I have read the forum posts on the horn ground but have a problem/issue which you raised in your turn signal wiring video. I know the purple/black wire to the relay connects, via a bullet connector, to a spring like fitting on the column. And when I jump it to ground the horns work great. But pushing the button does nothing. I reading the various posts, it sounds like there is no ground wire going into or on the column, but that the column it self acts as the ground when the button is pushed. Is this correct, and if does this suggest my problem is with contacts behind the horn button? Thanks. Al

Al,
You need to run a specific ground wire to the ground lug on the back of the steering column. I will look for photos of that to show you and will post it if I find one.

Thanks much. I spent several hours on this yesterday before quitting in frustration at want I was sure couldn’t be that difficult.

Al Kroemer, Partner
Cantey Hanger LLP
Suite 3300
1999 Bryan St.
Dallas, Texas 75201
(214) 978-4167
(214) 213-0770 cell
akroemer@canteyhanger.commailto:akroemer@canteyhanger.com

Looks like just what I need. Will know tomorrow when I get to the shop. Thanks.