New member, new to Jags!

That’s my take as well. Back in the day domestic manufacturers typically made their new car model change overs in the summer of the preceding year. The 1969 models for example began to be produced in the July-August 1968 and were sold and titled as 1969 models.

IIRC there have been previous examples of E-types discussed here that were titled based on the year they were sold, not when they were manufactured or whatever model year is was supposed to be.

Welcome Dave! I believe you have what’s commonly referred to as a 68 and a half!

Sweet car.

True- edited to reflect Series 1 4.2 cars…

1 Like

Wow, great info guys. Thank you. So a very early Series II. Good to know!

I was planning the Pertronix bullet distributor conversion (drop in style) and I’ve used those before with good luck. Also, was planning on a Series I covered headlight mod too. Already have the details ready to go when I want to place the order.

There’s zero rust on the car, except some scale between the toe panel and firewall where they join. No rot through, just scale for now that I’ll treat. Other than that it’s an extremely dry car.

The new exhaust doesn’t hang down so obtrusively like the old contraption, luckily. Next up are new door handles as the driver’s side plunger isn’t plunging. Can only open the door from the inside.

I was planning on a fluid flush on the trans too. Hard shifting sometimes which I see many remedy with Redline fluid. My symptoms are exactly as described on what I read with fluid type issues. I know other trans makes are finicky sometimes with fluid type too. I’ll give that a shot first before going further.

Thanks for the info men!

Cheers
Dave

1 Like

After reading John Walkers other post about “SII side marker lights : reflector vs illuminated “ I went back and looked at your car and realized the bonnet does not have the side markers as it should having a SII bonnet.
On a 69 the side markers are reflective not illuminated. Do your rear side markers light up ?

BTW nice care, welcome to the forum.

Having read all so far Dave is this going to be a running restoration or are you going to strip it down and start again?

That’s fun to know; making me 618 from the last of the S 1 (1 1/2) cars.

Dave did say the car had been repainted. Could be the previous owner had them removed and the screw holes filled in.

True.
Makes you wonder why they left the rear ones there.

Welcome to the club! Are you sure the door isn’t locked? If it was that would prevent the plunger working. Stick the key in and try to turn the barrel/plunger, you might just get lucky🙂

Ha! Yes, I tried the lock first. Sort of like check the fuses first before pulling the motor :laughing:. For whatever reason, it’s missing which is odd. I’ll know more when I pull it

Ok, so 68/69 differences in Domestic makes that I know. Lighted side markers came out in 1968 yet in 1969, Dodge Super Bees have reflectors. How did they get away that? Not sure, but it’s true. 1970, everything went back lighted.

My car’s rear markers are lenses only, no bulbs or socket fittings. Front appears to not have any holes filled in, although if they did the quality repaint where they cared (which looks they did) then they might have taken care of the bodyfill “worms” or even actually welded then smoothed the inside over after exterior bodywork. No evidence of any holes. I agree though, I like the look without them.

Here’s the picture of the rear lens along with the front inner bonnet where the side marker light would go. Zero holes and no evidence of them being there. I think they were filled nicely. Not sure why the rears were left.

The plan is just drive and enjoy right now. I’m deep into a BMW 507 replica I’m building and can’t handle two major projects at one. I’m trying to keep one driving so I have something to keep my enthusiasm up while running into roadblocks on the projects!!

Cheers
Dave

Oh, and rear lenses only… They don’t light up and no hole for a socket.

Cheers
Dave

1 Like

For the door handles, I would suggest just removing the latch assemblies and giving them a good clean and light oiling. Unless something is broken or missing, that should clear up the issue.

Photos???
and20…

1 Like

:needpics:

EDIT – Ooops, Doug beat me there

It depends how you define “butcher” but I’ve found them to be a delightful bunch of people who are remarkably tolerant of minor departures from originality in a few small areas.

And welcome, of course.

Butcher? Hadn’t planned on it. But I understand the passion for originality. Sometimes we view what others have done with a critical eye since it’s not to our taste, but I found to accept what others have done and appreciate the effort. Foose did an E-Type and while I’m not a fan of the big goofy wheel look, you simply can’t ignore his build vision and fabrication skills whether they are to your liking or not. I think these cars are gorgeous. Rolling Rembrandts.

Here’s my 507 project. I took a 1/18th scale model and 3D scanned it. Long story short, created a full sized body buck then built everything you see here; frame, inner structure, body panels, etc. I’m learning the art of Coachbuilding from a few craftsmen and it’s a fun adventure. Most of the design comes from the real 507 as far as the frame and inner structure with minor deviations for stuff like suspension and trunk area. It’s a Series II with a couple Series I details.

Cheers
Dave

6 Likes

Holy Body Building, Coachman!!

I’m not worthy…:wink:

Panels in metal, or FRP?

1 Like

Haha! Thanks guys. I appreciate that!

Cheers
Dave