New Member Old Car

Hey all, New to this forum. After a rotisserie tub and bonnet restoration of my '67 OTS I am approaching re-assembly. My understanding is that the first (and one of the most challenging) things to put back in the car are the heater and vacuum pipes. Unfortunately, I can’t tell whether the flange/washer on the engine side of the bulkhead are supposed to be black or metal.

Input on this would be much appreciated

OCDHerb

They were black. Specifically, RDB…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don’t think we’ve talked to each other since that day I saw you in Crawford… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do use new SS pipes. Vacuum is fine stock.

1 Like

Got them. Thanks.

1 Like

They need to go in in specific order! …… see other posts on this forum…welcome to you ….this forum should be able to help you lots many folks are doing (have done) the same journey …it’s a challenging and sometimes frustrating journey ….but provides massive satisfaction…… plenty of experience to draw on

Welcome back. In case you don’t look a the forum often, the technical term Paul referenced (RDB) stands for Runny, Drippy, Black. Hopefully nobody makes it anymore, but they probably do.

1 Like

I was actually a frequent member back in the twenty teens and found the forum to be very helpfull. I understand there is a sequence for putting in the heater/vacuum lines and that it can be quite challanging.

With regard to the windshield wiper mechanism, can it be inserted without taking it apart. Unfortunately I did not disassemble the car. That was the PO who has passed.

Herb

No. unbolt the two thingies on the ends. Bolt them on through the holes after you put the rack in.

Sit in the car, point the knurled wiper posts towards you. Feed the rack in through the hole hand over hand, left end first , aim towards 10 AM. There is a void there that will accept it.
Now it looks like you can’t get the rack in but, holdint it at 10Am to 4 PM angle, rotate the rack forward so that the middle wiper post just passes into the square dash hole at bout 1:30 PM. Then you can continue to slide it up to the left until you can put the RH side in the hole. Then pass it hand over hand to the right. Put the wiper posts into their holes, reach over and put a nut on the post to hold it…relax.

Yep! We’ve all had to learn that “fiddly” process. Gives me a headache to think about it. Think I’ll have a bourbon.

Welcome back Herb. I too was a lost soul from 2003 and somehow, the forum didn’t remember me. But now I’m a real nuisance! :slight_smile:

2 Likes