New owner, 85 XJ6

Ya, I thought it was crazy too. True, I think it would destroy the filter rather quickly.

The pipes are well bent though! On the non-o2 cars the holes are closed with bolts. Do you have converters or not?
Two acorn nuts too many (those that touch the hood) and the heat shield for the AC compressor is missing fyi.
The rest looks good.

This is a strange car indeed. The rear bench type seat with narrow pleats AND rear headrests suggest the car would have been built for the European market, sold new as a Jaguar Sovereign 4.2. Many US residents confuse the European market Sovereign with VDP models due to the VDP style door panels ( or ‘door cards’ , as Brits refer to them). Back in 1990, here in Southern California, a friend in the local Jaguar club bought a 1985 Sovereign, ‘gray market’ car, sold new originally in Germany, which makes sense, as cars built for Belgium and Germany were equipped with the extra red lights recessed into the rear bumper. That same car is now owned by the club’s current president. Several years ago he went to England to purchase the original style cloth interior to have the seats (and rear headrests) upholstered , an option never available in the US.

Perhaps confirming the notion that this was a grey market car?

Sorry, I guess i can only post so much a day… had to wait 18hrs to be able to post again…

They are well bent. No converters, unless they’re under the car which I have checked out yet. I can see new mufflers.

Mrchb,

Thank you for the story and info. Do you happen to know if they had o2 on the euro cars?

Are the rear bumper red lights considered the rear foglights?

No worries!
They did not have lambda or converters, the ECU is smaller and has no Lambda control circuits, and the red lights in the rear bumper are the fog lamps.

This will be interesting. If my information is correct, im gonna have to get it to pass emissions once before I can get a collectors plate. then it won’t have to be emissioned anymore…

Another question if I may. Any idea what the rear gear ratio would be and if it would’ve had limited slip?

Lots of ethanol and heat supposedly helps if you fail emissions, also, mine is 3.058 (US had 2.88 in the 80‘s?) and not limited slip, but it was an option. Jack one wheel up and try to turn it in neutral, handbrake off, wheels chocked. Or look at the differential and there are tags on there.

Right.

Well, actually, the USA cars did have the 3.07 (or maybe 3.058?) for the first couple of years but then 2.88 beginning in '82 or so.

Cheers
DD

Can you imagine how quick off the line the Jeepster is gonna be, with its 3.73, and the autobox?

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Yup:

Likely not posi.

David

I’ve oft wondered why both a 3.058 and 3.07 were used.

Different vendors/supply chains, or something long those lines, perhaps?

Cheers
DD

No clue. Dana/Salisbury? Tooling change? Why is it not a 3.059? (52/17)

Unlikely, Chris - jack up one rear wheel and, in ‘N’, turn the wheel. If it won’t turn; you have LS…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Will try. Thank you.

Seems something got lost along the way. The air pump!!! Drew air from the air box and then pumped it via the hard lines to the exhaust. Not EGR, but air injection…

Or, EGR. Unvalved. Inject exhaust gas into the intake.

Which ever, crude. but as Doug opined, satisfied the import folks!!!

Dump it whatever it is…No benefit at all.

Carl

It will be dumped, thank you.

So. Should I keep it towards the original side of things? More value in it that way? Or should I go towards more resto-mod?

One thing I want to do to this that I didn’t have a chance to do on my other one is the 700r4 swap.

Antenna is an issue, cap is in place of hole now.

Stock would leave square foglights, resto-mod something oval or round complimenting the headlights more.

Build it to suit you. An investment for profit in $'s it is surely not!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Carl