New Owner. No Fans. Please Help

New E Type owner here. Fans won’t turn on at all. They had previously worked, but it seems after a short test drive around the neighborhood they would stop. The otter bypass worked initially, but now it doesn’t. So I’m focusing on the relay, and want to bypass it safely…

The relay’s Black/Green connection (C1) has two leads. If I simply move the Green wire (C2) to this lead will I safely bypass the relay?

Short drives around the block are no fun. :wink:

Thanks in advance.

Answered on the UK forum.
kind regards
Marek

1 Like

Brian, welcome to the forum.
I would feel more comfortable if you were asking us to coach you on how to get your fans back to normal, stock operating condition. The word “bypass” leads me to ask if the fire loss coverage on your car is up to date.

Also, it is always helpful to mention the year/model of your car at the beginning of a new post. I was able to click on your profile picture and see that you have a 69 SII. You can update your account profile to have that fact fill in on every post, along with your name. Adding a general location (city/state) sometimes reveals folks willing to help that live nearby.

I’m not a SII guy so I’ll leave the detailed troubleshooting to others.

1 Like

Yes, you did Marek … and solid advice at that. Thank you again. Will report back. Heading out to the Jag now.

My “no fans” situation is solved, but I’m back to my original issue of the fans cutting out after a bit.

To recap my relay issue: in cleaning all of my connections I incorrectly wired the relay. Now fixed. Face meets palm.

It appears my root cause may be the otter. From a cold start the otter kicks on when it should. I go through several iterations of it cycling on and off, and then … I guess when everything has sufficiently warmed up, the otter starts cutting out. The bypass now works faithfully (fingers crossed). I let the motor cool, reconnect the otter, it works for a little bit, and then cuts out again. Time for a new otter I guess.

I don’t think I’m misdiagnosing this, but after my foolish relay wiring mistake, maybe so.

I’d appreciate any additional criticism on either side of the coin.

Brian

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but are you saying the fans are on from a cold start ?
If so that is incorrect. The fans should be off from a cold start and come on only when the otter switch tells the relay to turn them on.

I was just getting ready to post a similar comment. Maybe your wording got turned around. Regardless, I was going to suggest that Coolcat sells a nice otter switch replacement that uses a modern temp element. Also, at least on a S1, there is a chassis ground near the otter switch that needs to be clean and reliable.

In general, as the car is new to you, I would buy a can of Deoxit and use it to clean every electrical connection you can find, as at this point in the life of the car, they are all going to be potentially flakey due to corrosion.

Leading on from this, what recommendations and guidance (photographs and diagrams appreciated) would forum members give for fitting an additional auxiliary switch to manually turn the fans on and off on a S2.
Paul.

Sorry if it was unclear…

I’ll try to reiterate/simplify: the otter does it’s job (on and off as it should), and then stops doing its job and becomes unresponsive.

I’ve owned the car two weeks, and it seems now that from cold start until 10 minutes of driving all is well … then temp pegs and fans are off. Now that I’ve ruled out the fans, fuses, the relay, and the wiring, I’m left only to assume the otter is faulty.

Hope that clarifies things.

….so unless there’s anything I’ve missed, I’m going to order a new otter.

You can ground the black/red wire Paul.
kind regards
Marek