New owner saga starts with a 67 2+2 and a broken promise

My journey started a couple months ago with the purchase of my 67 2+2 automatic. I bought the car with the promise to the other half that i wouldn’t take this car apart and just drive it. With my ocd, it didn’t take long to start ‘fixing’ things. Small items at first, slight door alignment, bouncing speedometer.eter cable, replace missing clips on carb linkage, etc…small stuff.
Then I start noticing other, not so small stuff.
Engine bay is now stripped down to just the bare block. I just couldnt stop…in part cleanup and ordering mode now.
I promised her I will put it back together asap when parts start coming in. Like the back ordered hose kit and new motor and trans mounts. Sigh. Dont have the room for a fourth teardown project.

Really glad this forum is here as a research tool. Invaluable.

Angelo

9 Likes

That is how it always begins…:smirk:

Welcome to the loon-E bin!

I think we may need a new fourm titled "Broken Promises - this will be done by … ".

Or “This will be done after the first of the year … (I didn’t say which year)”.

1 Like

lol…….same here after getting a “done “ 67 with nothing wrong
Back end coming out now with a seized rear caliper

Will the fun ever end

Haha , here was my “restored” 67 after a few months. #6 big end bearing completely shot. The previous " rebuilder " had left swarf in the oil passages in the crank because they could not get the plugs out of #6. Also new pistons and rings-with no honing !! And that was just the start. I am too slow a typer to list the dozens upon dozens of issues. But you know , its been a great journey and I love the car.
Learned a hell of a lot , much of it thanks to the forums and its stellar members.

Oh gawd…

It’s been over 30 years since I turned wrenches in anger, and long ago gave up any dog in this fight: that said, that photo, plus the reason it happened, still makes my cloaca snap shut…:frowning:

1 Like

Boy, i would not call that person or shop a ‘rebuilder’…hope it failed quick enough for you to get some kind of guaranty relief.
I have a little buyers remorse now but I always assume I will have some repairs to do on any classic vehicle I buy.
The urge to keep digging deeper into the car while waiting for parts to arrive is quite overpowering to me…

the following is a true fact

the best time to paint the lower engine firewall and inner fenders is with the engine out

the upper half can be done with the engine in, but not the lower half

It was extremely reassuring to find the XJ engine I got for $300 had a full rebuild including new crank plugs in the receipts that totalled $6000, i got them from the PPO

1 Like

Welcome, Angelo. I have done so many significant (sometimes major) jobs on my E-type over the years that I’ve lost count. The routine is always the same. It runs and drives just fine but there’s something that could be improved and it niggles at you. And after much hesitation and procrastination you bite the bullet and tackle the job, second guess your sanity for weeks or months while the shop is littered with parts and tools and a now undriveable car up on jackstands. And then experience a tremendous sense of satisfaction when you get it all back together again and purring like a kitten. All part of the allure. Enjoy.

3 Likes

I was thinking of dropping the pan to check the mains and see if any crud there… oh maaan stop me!!!

You got a real deal on that engine. Stepped right into it.

Hoping on keeping this one on road until i finish at least 2 of my current car projects…that will also keep wife happy and garage not as cluttered.

Gonna try and figure what im doing wrong trying to upload pics…maybe sometime today.

If you are doing the steps correctly and the photos don’t upload, check the file type (file extension) as .jpg (.jpeg files) upload, but I’m not sure that .png and other file types will upload.

Had the same issue with a well known rebuilder in eastern Idaho, it’s been 18 years since I had that mechanic work on my engine and I don’t think I will ever forget the misery of hearing a knock with less than 200 miles on the new engine. That as you said ‘was just the start’ of the incredibly poor craftsmanship. I feel your pain…
Cheers,
LLynn

1 Like

Soooo…who was it that mentioned ‘paint the firewall’ ?
Things just keep flying off this poor car! That heater control valve started out to be a frozen on bugger. Until i realized there was still some coolant most likely in it…out came the heat gun and channel locks. Let the coolant steam do its thing and valve about fell off.
Gonna run out of parts to take off up front pretty soon…
Ordering more…stuff…tonight.

2 Likes