New purchase 1983 Jaguar XJ6 (no fuel/starter problem)

Hi, New to this forum. I just bought a 1983 Jaguar xj6, bountiful car. It was not getting fuel from th
e fuel pump. I bought a new pump and found there was no 12 volt power to the positive lead.,I tryed jumping the relays on the fire wall with no result. I found that with the key on I had 12 volts at the fuel tank selector, so I cut the plosive wire that was going to the fuel pump and splised it in to the hot tank selector wire. Pump turns on now and pumps fuel. But now the starter will not turn over. I know i probubly should not have cut that wire but was out of idias.I would apricate any help you can give me.

Buy the workshop manual, S57 wiring guide and google BS-AU7, that helps a lot. What you should have done first is jump the relay at the firewall.
Congratulations on the purchase.

For the starter, look for power at the starter, then relay, then make sure it’s in P or N.

Gus might have S57 on his site for download???

P.S. The fuel pump circuit is triggered by the AIR FLOW METER!

Thanks I will try that

The FAQs and guides at start of forum have a detailed fuel system debug procedure.

There are all sorts of “interconnections” between fuel and starting and running.

Randy

You may have to jumper to Earth, the Neutral Safety Switch at the bulkhead relay. But then it will start in any gear, so be ready if you are trying to prime the fuel pump. I will look to see if I have a photo.
Dean

Your cross wiring should not interfere with the starter relay/cranking, Daves - it’s a separate fault.

The cranking circuit is the white/yellow wire circuit - powered only with the ign to ‘crank’. Check power12V on that wire at the starter relay with ign to ‘crank’. If ‘yes’; connect black/green relay wire to ground and retry - this will override switch mentioned by the start inhibit switch mentioned by Richard. It prevents cranking in gear. You can short relay brown to relay white/red - engine should then crank if solenoid, starter and ground connections are OK…

The fuel pump does not run with the ign ‘on’ unless the engine is turning. Remove middle ‘relay’ on bulkhead and jumpwire between white and white/green on relay base. The pump will now run with the ign 'on. This is the common way of bypassing a failed relay or the (red) diode pack. Your ‘solution’, will not work with ‘left’ tank selected - the changeover valve is then unpowered…:slight_smile:

And welcome on board Daves…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)