New to forum, New to jags, any tips for my project?

Lets get on to something worthwhile

B[quote=“scrimbo, post:42, topic:375638, full:true”]
Lets get on to something worthwhile
[/quote]

Do go ahead :slightly_smiling_face:
Another one, I like the XJ seats already so the XJS seats might be comfortable enough if you find some with heating, maybe even better. We all wish he‘d stay and enjoy his XJS and this forum.

Here’s the thing, you guys have made some good points and you could very well be right in giving the poster the benefit of the doubt, but my antennas shot up and I got a whiff of a conflicting odor. A claimed mechanical ineptitude followed by what appeared to be know how of an F1 engineer. Mix those things up with driving an XJS around the world with an emphasis on comfort seats and this dream starts to sound like a B rated SciFi movie.

2 Likes

OP did say he replaced front windshield, so he has skills.

I think we all agree the “add a turbo” is a bit much, but I’m curious as to his seat improvements, which could be valuable knowledge. I hope we didn’t scare him away.

2 Likes

And I’m back! Don’t get discouraged if I don’t reply everyday please I work in the field and it’s turnaround season so I get very little time to work on my hobbies (or install fuel filters) but no worries I have lots of time to work on my project.
Again I’m very impressed with the advice from the forum it’s great to see so many people willing to help me (and maybe a few griefers w/e)
When I returned home my car was ready once again to hit the road so I took it out to my fathers place (roughly 800kms or so). I had zero issues on the trip which is an awesome start.
I read some of the link you sent me mike. More so the parts on the cooling system as that is where many posters said to start. I order new hoses and rubbers (although mine still look fine it’s always nice to go new :slight_smile: ). It’s neat to see A dual thermostat system. I will start tearing into it hopefully wend day as that is my only day off for the next couple weeks or so.
Thank you dr_wheuss! Your post was very informative on the turbo system. And I am intrigued about your rear end and tranny swap. I may be inquiring more about it when I get that far.
As for the questions posted; I have a shop to work in with no hoist or crane (just lots of jacks), basic tools (although I have no problem purchasing what I need), and maybe 20k to spend on the project. If I missed your question pls let me know.
Thanks again to all who reply ;p

1 Like

One is always amazed as to what on3 can do with the basic tools. I’ve watched from time to time a You
Tube channel by a traveling bus mechanic. His home and shop are in an ancient GMC retired coach. The last segment was the installation of a drive shaft and other repairs on a similar vehicle in a grassy field. N o access to the under belly. Six huge tires about down about 12" into the soft ground. Planks, bottle jacks, a chunk of plyu wood and a sledge hammer. got it high enough ands secure enough for him!! Me???
did the job.

Here: a minor victory. I got the blade to stay in place on my bandsaw and the motor to drive it. Today? After chores. Replace the guards. Make some saw dust.

Carl

2 Likes

How about using a differnent valve train system, have to reengineer the head, etc, looks impressive.https://youtu.be/S3cFfM3r510

Man those Swiss are clever. Gonna have to dig deeper into the free valve system. I wonder what kind of improvements I’d have to do to my cylinder heads before this systems would be feasible.

I said it looks impressive, doesn’t make it a reality. I’d like to see a everyday application bolt on that didn’t break the bank and some kinda warranty. They lost weight but had to add some to power the pneumatics.

Indeed although I doubt it’s even close to the weight they saved. It’s not far fetched to think a cam less engine is in the near future for production vehicles.

I’ve wondered how that pneumatic system gets the exhaust valve open. There’s gotta be considerable pressure holding it shut at WOT.

If the exhaust valve opens when the piston is fully depressed (I assume) then your pressure would not be that high (I guess depending on your idea of high pressure) and there are many pneumatic valves capable of high pressure operations :slightly_smiling_face:

Just a thought but it would make sense to have a potential pressure equal to or greater than your combustion chamber pressure at full stroke inside your pneumatic valve offset by a mechanical spring so that your poppet would actuate with little resistance. Again NotAMechnic but I use this logic to operate valves and run tools under tremendous pressures (100mpa) in the field with little effort.

You’ve taken a fuel/air mixture at roughly atmospheric pressure, compressed it, ignited it, and allowed it to expand back to the same volume it started at. I’d expect the pressure would be pretty high, but don’t actually know for sure.

In any case the logic still stands regardless of your cylinder pressure. Something like this I imagine but with a lot more engineering.

Perhaps this discussion would be better suited at the pub? I would love to see a thread on cam less engine concepts and get others inputs.

Sure! Not sure, I think there used to be a thread, but feel free to start one. I think the reason why air is moved instead of oil is mostly because you need high operational speeds. Hydraulics will cavitate and get hot with all the friction. Electrical actuation is not worth it when I remember this well enough.

The issue with all the air traveling through the system will probably be that it does take some time to actuate the valves and might develop harmonics. NotAnEngineer though. The pressure required to open the valve will need to be considerable if you want to open the valve safely and in time, there will still be some residual pressure, especially when you want some gas dynamic. How high I don’t know, but at least 50 psi, I bet. And you want to keep the valve train very light, so not too much piston area to work with either.
You won’t see it in your V12, but maybe there will be a few engines some day. It sure is more efficient and versatile.
I took the freedom to rotate your image and if you want to split this part of your topic off into the Pub I‘m sure Andrew can help.

David

So much for my day off tinkering. Been up all night transferring fluid on site. Looks like I’ll be back at it tonight as well. Unfortunately I will not be digging into my cooling system today but I will take the time to snap a few photos of my baby before I lay down for a well deserved nap. I will post them once I make it home.

She needs a bath I know. Perks of parking it at the shop.

hey Bryce - -don’t know if you looked at the thread about Walnut Dash Repair, but there is good info in that thread that you will want at some point - - either for do it yourself, or to offload to the pro’s.