New Tubeless Rims for Mk II

Ahoy !
It has been many, many years since I’ve fallen out of touch with that related to the Mk II. What is common knowledge to you could be a revelation to me.
I’d like to install new, tubless rims (hub caps, not wire wheels.). Car is to be a driver, not a show car so, originality is not a concern in this matter.
Anything I should know ? For example: Get xxx width because this is better than original for reasons…
Any recommended brands ?
My knowledge on this topic is zero. I mean no insult to the many reputable parts suppliers and restoration shops; but, before I have the conversation, I really should have some knowledge to facilitate a satisfactory conversation.
Thank you.
Best Regards,
Richard Cielec
Greater Chicago, U.S.A.

Currently most of the usuals sell MWS wheels. They are good.

On my MK1 I got 16 inch BMW 1 series steel tubeless rims with 205/70-16 tyres.
These are 5X120 and 6.5 inch wide. At the rear I needed 20mm spacers.
The spacer needed some change as the center is smaller than the jaguar.
I added studs to the rims for the hubcaps.

1 Like

Sorry my bad I assumed you were talking about wires.

… spacers in addition to a wider rear axle, thus no spats ?

I have a MK1 with narrow rear axel, then you need spacers, as the wider wheel will rub on the inside.

I think virtually any steel Jaguar rims that fit your car are compatible with tubeless tires. Tubes usually only needed on wire wheels. If your car is a driver I think you will find the standard width steel rims will be quite satisfactory and by not changing sizes, widths you eliminate any unforeseen issues that might develop. I run the standard factory supplied steel rims (with trim rings and hubcaps) on my 3.8S and find they are quite acceptable but I am not a aggressive driver or competing in auto crosses.

You might also find standard width rims help with the weight of the steering if you don’t have power steering.