New video: Chain tension, cam timing and weird oil

Hello all -

So I was hoping to find a loose chain to explain the noise I am hearing, which seems to be coming from the front of the passenger side cam cover, but I am not sure my chain is loose enough to be the cause - I do think it could be tightened some, but I am not sure its the problem. I also found that the cams are not aligned with each other perfectly in terms of timing, and there is something odd with the oil under the same cam cover the noise is coming from. The oil acts like it has something mixed with it, but only in the one side, and mostly just in that one section of the head - it also non-magnetic. Video posted below:

The Noise: top-end

The chain, cam and oil: chain, cams and weird oil - YouTube

1 Like

The timing chain looks like it may be a little too tight. The sludge is unusual. That noise it’s odd. I would check the valve clearances.

The oil on the exhast cam valley looks very much like its Moreys additive, it looks very sticky the inlet valley looks like sludge.
What’s the history of the car?
WRT the timing chain I agree that it looks tight, loosening off may correct the (very) slight mis-alignment of the cams. They are not sufficiently out to cause any trouble, they are probably closer than the cams that I have set up on my ‘66 ‘S’ (on purpose)

Would an overly tight chain cause the sound I’m hearing? I’ve only ever heard of chains being too loose.

One way to find out would be to loosen the chain and test run it.

Timing chain seems very tight, but how about the lower chain.
Is the bottom chain tensioner stil working?
That stuff in the oil could block the tensioner, as the hole is very small.
There is no way to check that one.
Oil looks more like contaminated due to a very worm engine.
Had this kind of gray stuff in one of my engines, that was very worn.
Fully rebuild was needed in my case.
Did you check the compression, and how about the oil pressure?

I had to change the lower chain on my Mk2 - was part of the “disclosure” when I bought the car at auction. It made quite a noise at idle that reduced with RPMs and oil pressure. I changed both the upper and lower chains. I would not have characterised the OP’s noise as “chainy”. Also wondering about the tensioner - mine had failed - the little helical ratchet had never been released. Paul.

@RuschP I am not sure how to test the lower chain, or sure how to know if the lower chain tensioner is working. The oil pressure is good, and the compression value were also good - generally 165 with one cylinder at 155.

@Breen60 This noise also goes away at higher rpm, and best as I can tell, the noise is loudest around the breather - so it seems at least chain-related. How would you describe the noise you had with your lower chain issue?

Here is an updated video.

I adjusted the chain ( made it looser, per advice above) it may have helped a bit, but you can still hear a rattle at higher RPM…and…I think the engine has a knock as well - Sounds like piston slap to me.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/mZyXpDg5v3I/edit

The noise was a bit metallic “slappy”. As I said the ratchet was never released so the tensioner was moving over most of its travel. When idling aparently not sufficient pressure to properly tension - the ratchet’s setting usually assists with this - provides mechanical tension when oil pressure tension would be low. Paul.