New XF owner looking for best scan tool

Purchased a 2018 XF S Sportbrake with 58,500 miles.
Want to purchase a scan tool, but which one is recommended?
Or is Jaguar like Porsche and Mercedes, specific make scan tool?

Thanks, Patrick

Patrick, it depends on how serious you are about car repair. If you simply want something to read and clear codes, any of them should do the job. If you’re interested in doing some more serious repairs, you’ll probably want to get a more professional scan tool. Unfortunately, most of them require you to pay for yearly tool software updates. I’ve been looking at the Autel tools, but haven’t bit the bullet yet. Even with the best tool, I believe there will be some things that only a Jag dealer can do.

Thanks Brett.
I checked the online reviews of the Autel, sounds good. It cost $200 from Amazon.
I also reviewed the iCarsoft which looks to be just as good with a lower price.
There is one called Toad which looks to do more but price is $300.
I have used iCarsoft on previous cars I owned, Mercedes and Porsche. It did everything I needed.
Patrick

Brett, I have not purchase a scanner, have you?

Now that I have had our XF for a little over a month I might want to look into the features of the Autel Scanner. It is some little things I would like to program.
I don’t use the auto start and would like to have it always off.
The cruise slow down feature when approaching a car, I’d like that off too.
Can the Autel do stuff like that?
Thanks, Patrick

I purchased the iCarsoft LR 3.0 to find out why my central locking wasnt working at all after the car was parked for 9 months with both batteries disconnected. Key fob and interior lock/unlock buttons didnt work at all. I read many many idiotic theories online. Our main dealer had no idea what was going on but he was charging 100bucks per hour if the car would be connected for diagnosis. I paid 250bucks for the iCarsoft. It finds and resets the basic errors but just that. Then i found an old laptop with win7 64bit and bought a JLR pro mongoose with JLR SDD for 80 bucks. Did a simple immobilizer reset and the car was alive again.

So the answer to which is the best diagnostics for your XF is JLR SDD on an old laptop with win7 64bit with a Mongoose pro cable (aliexpress one). Just because the main dealer uses the same software

No, I have not. Its something I want to get at some point, but it may be awhile.